The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

There are Many Teams that Could Compete for the World Series this Year

The+Snooks+family+took+a+trip+to+see+the+LA+Dodgers+play+the+San+Diego+Padres.+The+LA+Dodgers+are+a+team+that+is+always+near+the+top+of+the+MLB+power+rankings.+
Dallin Snooks
The Snooks family took a trip to see the LA Dodgers play the San Diego Padres. The LA Dodgers are a team that is always near the top of the MLB power rankings.

As the MLB season progresses further into the year, several teams have stood out because of their high level performances. Many of them are popular contenders for this years world series, but only time will tell what two teams will make to the final games.

1. Los Angeles Dodgers 

To absolutely no one’s surprise, the Los Angeles Dodgers come in first. The Dodgers spent the most money in free agency and second place isn’t even close. They acquired what many consider to be the best player in baseball, two-time MVP, Shohei Ohtani. Not only did they acquire Ohtani, they also signed NPB superstar, Yoshinobu Yamamoto. Other notable off-season additions include players like Tyler Glasnow and Teoscar Hernandez. While making these moves, they were also able to resign Clayton Kershaw. On paper, the Dodgers have by far the best roster in baseball. It is only a matter if they can win when it counts.  

According to mlb.com, “There is a sense, both inside baseball and out, that the Dodgers are somehow indestructible now that they’ve signed the best baseball player in the world and brought in two top-shelf starting pitchers.” 

2. Atlanta Braves 

While some may disagree due to their lack of big off-season moves, the Atlanta Braves come in second. One of the off-season moves the Braves made included them trading for former Cy Young Award runner-up Chris Sale. Sale has finished top five in Cy Young voting six times in his career. He will be attempting to replicate this success with the Braves this year. The Braves return many of their players from the previous year and have a great chance to make a push at another World Series title. Spencer Strider looks to continue to be one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball after finishing fourth in Cy Young voting last year. Led by players like Austin Riley, Matt Olson and Ronald Acuna Jr., who is coming off a historic season, the Braves have one of the most explosive offenses in baseball. Be ready to see them fighting for that title when October rolls around.  

According to thescore.com, “The Braves have been busy, loading up on secondary pieces to surround their talented core.” 

3. Houston Astros 

A power ranking wouldn’t be complete without the Houston Astros. The Astros have become the juggernaut of the American League over the past seven years. They have reached seven straight American League Championship Series. Returning players like Yordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker and Jose Altuve headline the Astros offense. Although the Astros did lose a few bullpen pieces, they were able to sign one of the best closers in the league, Josh Hader. The Astros look to continue to be one of the top teams in the American League.  

4. Texas Rangers 

There can’t have a power rankings list without the reigning World Series Champs. The Texas Rangers still have a majority of their weapons from last year with Jacob DeGrom returning from Tommy John surgery. The Rangers pitching staff does leave much to be desired. Players such as Adolis Garcia, Marcus Semien and Corey Seager look to power the Rangers to October once again. Led by an offense filled with a unique combination of contact and power the Rangers look to repeat as the World Series Champions.  

5. New York Yankees 

The New York Yankees had one of the best off seasons in the league. They traded for Juan Soto, who many consider to be a generational talent. They also signed Marcus Stroman who is coming off a career year in Chicago. The Yankees’ pitching staff this year will be led by stars such as Gerrit Cole, Carlos Rodon and Marcus Stroman. Their offense will include sluggers such as Aaron Judge and Juan Soto. The Yankees look to make a splash after not making the playoffs last year. 

6. Philadelphia Phillies 

The Philadelphia Phillies have had quite a bit of success the past two years. Despite this success, they haven’t brought home a World Series title since 2008. The Phillies have a star-studded lineup that includes Trea Turner, Bryce Harper and J.T Realmuto. Their rotation includes two powerhouse pitchers, Zack Wheeler and Aaron Nola. Don’t be surprised when the Phillies are fighting for a chance at a title when the postseason rolls around. 

7. Baltimore Orioles 

The Baltimore Orioles have some of the best young talent in the league. This includes players like Gunnar Henderson and Adley Rutschman. The Orioles also have one of the best farm systems in the league. Top prospect, Jackson Holliday is likely to be a September callup. Many believe he should be on the Opening Day roster, but it appears that the Orioles are trying to manipulate his service time. The Orioles’ bullpen took a big hit with their All-Star closer Felix Bautista most likely missing the entirety of the season after needing Tommy John surgery. They did, however, trade for former Cy Young Award winner, Corbin Burnes. The Orioles look to once again shock the world of baseball and compete for a title. 

8. Arizona Diamondbacks 

The Arizona Diamondbacks are a team with a lot of young talent. The most notable young player on the Diamondbacks is 2023 Rookie of the Year winner Corbin Carrol. The Diamondbacks made the World Series in 2023 but ultimately fell short. Over the off-season, they landed top left-handed pitcher, Eduardo Rodriguez. The Diamondbacks look to pick-up where they left off last season.  

There are many teams this year that have the talent and the depth to compete for the World Series title when October rolls around. It is going to come down to more than just talent this year to be the champions.