Chargers Fire Head Coach Brandon Staley Following Blowout Loss to Raiders

The+L.A.+Chargers+agree+to+part+ways+with+ex+Head+Coach+Brandon+Staley.+The+team+will+be+looking+to+hire+a+new+coach+soon.+
Branson Faulk
The L.A. Chargers agree to part ways with ex Head Coach Brandon Staley. The team will be looking to hire a new coach soon.

The Los Angeles Chargers have fired their Head Coach following a 63-21 blowout loss to the Las Vegas Raiders in week 15 of the NFL season.  

According to NFL.com, the Los Angeles Chargers are currently last in the AFC west behind the Kansas City Chiefs, Las Vegas Raiders and the Denver Broncos. 

Players are struggling this season. Quarterback Justin Herbert is posting his career worsts in team points per game (21.7), record (5-12) and passing yards per game (241.1). On defense, the Chargers are ranked 29th in yards allowed and 27th in points allowed.  

On Dec. 15, 2023, the Chargers announced Giff Smith as their new head coach for the remainder of the 2023-24 season. 

According to Chargers.com, “Smith, a 32-year coaching veteran, has been with the Chargers since 2016.” 

Smith has spent 12 seasons as a defensive line coach and outside linebacker coach for the Bills, Titans and Chargers. He has coached ten players to Pro Bowl selections including players Khalil Mack (2022) and Joey Bosa in (2017, 2019-21).  

According to latimes.com, Smith said, “You just roll with it. Embracing this new challenge of head coach.” 

Some fans would really like to see a turn around this season and in the 2024-2025 season.  

“The Chargers’ future is in better hands with the removal of coach Brandon Staley. He had the opportunity to make the Chargers great and failed,” said sophomore Grayson Bruch, a Chargers fan. 

Chargers’ fans may even be excited with the removal of their head coach like Caden Chandler. 

“The Chargers could have had a much better season if they didn’t have Staley. Hopefully, Smith can turn this team around,” Chandler said. 

Some fans are hoping for a change, maybe the next coach will turn this team’s current losing route around.