The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

Eagle High’s Cheer Team Wins their First Competition

Mikayla Herrara
Eagle High Mustang Cheer is back at the annual cheer competition. The team had placed in the top three in nearly every event.

Eagle High’s varsity cheer team had their first competition at Nampa High on Dec. 16. After putting in countless hours of work to get ready for this competition during the summer, the team finally got the opportunity to show everyone their talent and passion. 

“The most difficult part is making sure we keep our nerves in check and just put on the best performance because we only get one chance,” said senior Taylor Hill about competing in cheer.  

Many schools from Idaho participated and the Eagle High varsity cheer team ended up getting first place in the categories stunt and sideline, second place in the show category and third place in the pom category. 

“My favorite part was doing the stunt routine because everyone was cheering super loudly,” said senior Tiffany Brown. “We truly made an effort to participate to the best of our abilities.” 

The girls put a lot of work into their routines for their first competition this season. They practiced each day during the week of the competition and spent their Saturdays at the school working on choreography.  

“After performing I feel a sense of relief,” said senior Hannah Burnstein. “It’s a good feeling knowing you put your all on the floor and that you can just relax and enjoy the rest of the day without stressing about routines.” 

The girls in the team enjoy being able to use their skills and perform for audiences. They feel like a family because they support and love one another.  

“I love cheer because I get to be with like-minded girls who have similar talents, and together we create amazing routines,” Burnstein said. “It’s fun to push your body and see what you can really do.” 

Although there were some last-minute changes to their performances and they had to put in extra effort to be able to get memorized, they enjoyed it and had fun competing as a team.