The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

NBA Tip Off Starts Up

Which teams will contend, and which will fall out?
Annie Ward
Winter is coming and so is basketball—in both professional leagues and at Eagle High. The Eagle High gymnasium is home to the Mustang basketball team, and students are ready to attend many games this upcoming season.

The NBA season has just started, and many people are excited to see the new players from the draft and free agency. Many will be surprised by all the moves that the teams have made and the top draft picks from this year. 

Starting off, we have Center Victor Wembanyama, A.K.A “Wemby.” Wemby was the first pick in the NBA draft to the San Antonio Spurs. Wemby stands at 7’4 and is 210 pounds. He is the tallest player in the draft, but also quick and agile. 

According to theringer.com, “But this year, that buzz feels different—and Wembanyama’s preseason highlight reel has done nothing to temper it. The anticipation is laced with a fresh curiosity and a sense of wonder. Everyone wants to see what Wemby can do, and nobody wants to miss a moment.” 

There are also many of trades and signing that happened this offseason. The most recent trade being James Harden getting traded to the Los Angeles Clippers from the Philadelphia 76ers. Also, Damien Lillard was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks in a three-team trade with the Phoenix Suns and Portland Trailblazers. 

According to espn.com, “The Bucks made one of the biggest moves after acquiring seven-time All-Star Damian Lillard from the Trail Blazers just months after he requested a trade. That deal included a swap for two-time All-Star Jrue Holiday, but it didn’t take long for the point guard to find a new home as he was traded from the Trail Blazers to the Boston Celtics.”

Many fans at Eagle High are hyped for the upcoming season. 

“I think that this season is going to be interesting, I think that the clippers are going to win the chip,” said sophomore Wyatt Hair. 

This season will be one to remember for the NBA. There is so much talent and skill in every position that fans will not be able to turn the TV off.