The Eagle High Thundering Mustang Marching Band March to the Beat of their Success

The+Eagle+High+Thundering+Mustang+Band+performs+their+routine+before+the+opening+football+game+on+Aug.+18.+Eagle+High+went+on+to+win+the+football+game+36-33+over+Meridian+High.+
Ellie Kay Photography
The Eagle High Thundering Mustang Band performs their routine before the opening football game on Aug. 18. Eagle High went on to win the football game 36-33 over Meridian High.

The Eagle High marching band is a year long club in which musical students of all grade levels participate. Students in the band spend most of their time practicing and getting ready for competitions and shows. It’s just like any sport; it’s competitive, time-consuming and fun.

There are different parts of the band that are based on the type of instrument being played. In the band, there are section leaders who provide leadership to a group of students that play the same instruments.

“I make sure they have what they need and make sure they hit their marching spots, know their music and just behave in a respectful manner toward everyone,” said junior and section leader Nico Schiavi. Schiavi has been a member of the marching band since freshman year.

Knowing their correct marching spots is important for the football games that the marching band performs at. At the start of every home game, the band marches onto the field playing the “Fight Song” for the football players.

After that, they take their spot on the stands to the very far right of the student section, except for the drummers who stand in front of the stands. The band has music planned out that goes along with the chants being yelled by the crowd

During half-time, the band goes to the center of the field and performs. Schiavi explained the importance of the performances.

“We create our show, and, basically, it’s more for us than it is to show people what we’re doing,” he said. “It’s another practice for us. I just think of it as another rehearsal.”

Once they are finished with their halftime show, they go back to the stands and play music for the rest of the night.

The band also competes in competitions every year. Junior Brodie Anderson, who has been in the marching band for almost three years, described what a typical competition day looks like for them.

“We usually go to school early and we practice what we’re going to do at the competition. We have our lunch and then we head out to our buses,” said junior Brodie Anderson. “We warm up and then get out onto the field and perform, and then when were done, we wait and watch awards.”

Towards the end of the year, the marching band has their biggest competition which takes place on the Boise State University football field. It’s their state competition called D3, where they compete against almost all the marching bands in Idaho. It’s a big deal for them.

“D3 is super important because it’s the equivalent of state playoffs for other sports, its specifically important for raising expectations for not only in Idaho but also the Treasure Valley,” Schiavi said.

Along with competing every year, the band also does fundraisers.

“We’ll have flash fundraisers that are quick and easy,” Schiavi said. “They usually go toward buying new equipment and uniforms.”

Being in band requires lots of practice and hard work but it still leaves room for students to enjoy themselves and have fun with their peers.

“Band is super fun, you make lots of new friends and it gives you experiences that other things in school don’t give you,” Anderson said.

“I love the fact that by the second week after we start, everybody kind of loves each other,” Schiavi said. A lot of positivity is being spread through the students in band and they get to have fun and learn new things.