Eagle High Students get an A+ for Effort While Experiencing Burnout

Senior+Parker+Shipp+receives+advice+from+teacher+Mike+Corbett.+Corbett+gives+advice+to+his+senior+students+on+life+after+high+school.+
Dallin Snooks
Senior Parker Shipp receives advice from teacher Mike Corbett. Corbett gives advice to his senior students on life after high school.

As graduation for the class of 2024 quickly approaches, Eagle High seniors are preparing for the journey that lies ahead after high school. However, with college acceptances, some may find themselves experiencing “senioritis.” 

“Senioritis” is a term used to describe the lack of motivation for the last year of a student’s experience of high school. This typically occurs when students don’t feel motivated to excel to their best academic potential. 

With these challenges, seniors must remain focused to complete their last year of high school. Fellow seniors and teachers at Eagle High shared the best strategies to help seniors get to the finish line.  

Although students may experience “senioritis,” teachers witness how it impacts students firsthand. Students tend to lose motivation, skip classes or even consider dropping out altogether. Teachers at Eagle High were asked the best way for students to overcome these challenges.  

Teacher Mark Boatman has strived to make great connections with his students throughout his years of teaching and delivers motivational speeches during class to remind students to stay on track throughout the rest of their academic year.  

“I’d say senioritis is not a real thing; it is a choice. It is not a real disease. We as teachers would hate for people to trip before the finish line. And the finish line is walking across that stage at graduation. So, hang tuff, one foot in front of the other, and get to the finish line,” Boatman said. 

Teacher Shelli Taylor emphasizes that high school represents an important first part of life and encourages all her students to concentrate on their work, as it is one of the easier parts of life compared to what is ahead.  

“Just because you are seniors, doesn’t mean that when you go to college you don’t do anything anymore. You have to keep working till the end of the year. Students in the past have been kicked out of college or have lost scholarships because they quit doing their work. This will reflect on you and then on teachers,” Taylor said. 

She explains more in depth how life in high school is what puts you on track for the future ahead. Taylor continues with advice. 

“So, my advice to you is to keep working as hard as you can because this is the easiest time in your life, and you should be enjoying it. But that means you should also be doing your work on time. Good luck in the future,” she said. 

Teacher Vanessa Myers demonstrates compassion toward her students, encouraging her students to stay focused and motivated in class.  

“Be where your feet are, so use the time you have given to you in class to do what you need to do. Then, use the time when you’re not to enjoy the things around you outside of class,” Meyers said.

Many sometimes fail to understand the extent of how unmotivated students can be, especially in their last year. To comprehend this better, Eagle High seniors were asked to participate in a poll, sharing their strategies for staying driven during their final year. 

Many have admitted to feeling unmotivated until they remember that giving up 13 years of school would be a decision they would regret in the future, pushing them to finish the year strong. 

“Yes, I am experiencing senioritis. To help, I’m taking a trip in the middle of the semester.” said senior Madison Vegas. 

Other students shared that they are normally either late or skip classes regularly. However, this isn’t the way to stay motivated.  

Other seniors mentioned motivational tricks like making their parents proud by finishing high school, or how close they are and how it would be a waste to give that all up now 13 years later.  

“Knowing that I will make my mom proud at the end of the finish line, ” said senior Emily Wrapp in reference to what keeps her motivated. 

Each student has a different way of achieving their goal of graduating. Students should lean on those around them and consider what is at stake to finish out their last year strong.