CTE Courses are Available to All Students Looking for Hands-on Experience

Izzy Rios
Career and Technical Education classes can be taken at Rennaissance High or Owyhee High. These classes are offered to all West Ada students and include EMT, firefighter, construction, police, culinary, CNA, medical terminology and computer technology I & II.

At Eagle High, plenty of students want to do their best, and try and get an associate’s degree before they graduate. One way to accomplish that is taking a CTE, or Career and Technical Education, path of classes. With these classes, a student can get training in the field of their choice, and if successful, be able to get out of high school and start working in the field.

Current CTE pathways include law enforcement, animal and veterinary science, teaching elementary school, business management, culinary arts, digital photography and much more. There are classes offered at Eagle high and surrounding schools. Students will either travel using their own car or transportation provided by the school district if the courses are not at their home school.

These classes allow students to have hands on learning and be able to, when they are seniors, go right into working without the need for a college degree, though students can still go to college if they choose except for the teaching paths. One of the bigger classes that people are traveling for is welding and auto body classes, hosted at Meridian and Owyhee High School. Once completed with the program, students can get jobs or even start internships in places they may have worked with directly during their CTE course. Students enjoy CTE programs and the opportunities they entail.

“I’d say welding is more of a job opportunity because I can come out of high school already certified…”  said sophomore Caleb Garner. Garner is currently taking not only auto body classes but welding as well.

Any students who are interested in these classes can sign up to start a path as early as freshman year and be able to get out with a degree in the field by senior year. With these paths, students can start right into a field that they enjoy or would want to work for, without having to put thousands of dollars away for college. Students can talk to their counselors about starting a CTE pathway.