The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

Students Push for a Four-Day School Week

Junior Lizzy Baruch and sophomore Savannah Flake pose in the Eagle High gymnasium. The girls hold up four fingers to signify their enthusiasm about the idea of switching to a four-day school week.
Annie Ward

Eagle High students currently attend school five days a week, Monday through Friday. With a seven-hour school day this can overload students’ schedules. A nearby school, Middleton High, is not a part of the Westada school district and has a four-day school week. This makes kids at Eagle High wonder if Eagle High should do this as well.

A poll was taken of the students at Eagle High, asking their opinion on whether the school should make the switch. It was almost unanimous that the kids at Eagle High school want to have Fridays off.

According to ittana.org, it states that a four-day school week can improve student attendance, would make schedules easier to manage and staff recruitment would be more successful. Students would be more likely to show up if it’s a shorter week. They are also more likely to call in sick less than in a five-day school week.

“If students at Eagle High did not have school five times a week it would leave more time for family and extracurriculars,” said freshman Jonah Gochner. For a student who has after-school sports, homework that needs to be done and a big family, it’s hard to make time for it all. With school only four times a week, it would widen students’ schedules and give them more time for other activities.

Although this sounds like an overall positive change, according to ittana.org, that there are cons to this plan as well. Some cons include longer school days and school year, and parents of kids with a five-day school week will now have to adapt to their schedule. This would not just affect the students and their parents’ schedules but also the district schedule.

Sophomore Emma Stephens is in favor of a four-day school week. She loves the idea but also sees the con that the school year would be longer. This is a large factor to consider in whether this would be worth the switch or not.

There are many pros and cons to having Fridays off every week. Amongst Eagle High students it is a popular vote to change the district to four-day school weeks.