The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

Teacher Mark Boatman Makes an Impact on Eagle High

There are many teachers around Eagle High, but one of them stands out. Government teacher Mark Boatman makes sure to leave a positive impact at Eagle. 

The annual “democra-tree” made its way back to teacher Mark Boatman’s senior government class. Students decorated the tree with homemade ornaments that were US government themed.

Boatman has been teaching for a total of nine years, all at Eagle High. He teaches two classes: Government and Sources of Strength. Also, he helps teacher Brittany Dutton advise student council.  

“I always wanted to be a teacher,” said Boatman. “I come from a family of teachers.” Originally Boatman had a career in archaeology (the study of human history) and transitioned to teaching.   

Boatman tries to make sure his class is fun and interesting. He has developed many projects for the enjoyment of his students. For example, he developed an assignment called the “Democratree” for students this year. Students brought ornaments for a tree which were related to government. Ornaments may look like ball ornaments or designed silhouettes of government related things. 

Also, he does a mock congress every year where students are assigned as senators and debate on bills.  

In about a month from now, there is a field trip to the Capitol Building for the government classes. 

Boatman is very passionate about government and always excited to discuss it. 

“Government is very relevant to today. Every day there is something to be discussed and debated.” he said. With a teacher passionate about his subject, usually comes an enjoyable class, and Boatman is no exception. 

He does not limit his life to just teaching, however. He goes to a lot of concerts, more recently seeing folk band Bon Iver and musician Matisyahu. This past fall, Boatman went to Disneyland and took a trip to the Oregon Coast with his kids.  

According to Boatman, students should go to class and remember a good attitude makes the difference. He tries to leave students with a good final year in government.