Eagle High Football Team Wins District Championship for the First Time Since 2016

Fabianabeatrizphoto
Eagle High takes on Meridian High in the Southern Idaho Conference District Championship on Oct. 20. Eagle High gets the victory in overtime by a score of 22-21.

After getting destroyed by Meridian High on week zero of last season, and then suffering a 35-0 shutout loss to Meridian High in the district championship, Eagle High has finally gotten revenge this season. This season in week zero, the Mustangs took down the Warriors with a score of 36-33. In the district championship, Eagle High defeated Meridian High in overtime with a score of 22-21. Eagle High goes into state undefeated with a record of 9-0 for the first time since 2016. 

Sophomore running back Noah Burnham and sophomore quarter back Austin Ramsey both had a rushing touchdown in the first half, opening the lead for the Mustangs with a score of 14-0. The Warriors rallied back in the second half, though, with two rushing touchdowns of their own.  

The Mustangs were able to hold their ground. In overtime, Meridian High started with the ball and scored on a four-yard touchdown reception and extra point to move the score to 21-14. The Mustangs responded. Starting on the 10-yard line, Eagle High ran the ball every play. On fourth and one, the game came down to this play. Noah Burnham was able to get into the endzone to narrow down the deficit to 20-21. Coach James Cluphf decided to keep his offense on the field and go for the two-point conversion. Once again, the ball was handed to Burnham, and with the help of the offensive line and quarterback, Burnham was able to get into the endzone to win the district championship game. 

No one on the current Eagle High football roster has ever won a district championship. Many of the players on the team have played in the championship but have fallen short. 

“It means a lot. Every year I have been on varsity we have been close to it, but we have never gotten it. We have been heartbroken. This year, we finally got that dub,” said senior receiver and defensive back Makeo Sneddon. 

The Mustangs have been tested multiple times this year as they have trailed a few times in games. The football team has held their ground every time their strength has been tested. 

“I really think we have come together as a brotherhood, and we are all super close. We are family. No one ever gives up and we try our hardest 100% of the time. I think that has helped us be 10-0,” Sneddon said. 

With the Mustangs being 9-0 going into the playoffs, there are very high expectations for the football team heading into state. The players, coaches and the Eagle High community expect the team to go far into the state playoffs. 

“If we do the little things right like we have been doing, and have a 1-0 mentality, we should be looking pretty nice for state,” said senior defensive end and tight end Seth Brock. 

The 10-0 Mustangs look to bring home a trophy to the school for the third time this season, first the Herb Criner Bowl trophy, then the District Championship trophy and hopefully soon, the State Championship trophy. 

“Eagle is rolling, we are coming for that ring,” Brock said.