Fall Ball Lacrosse Is Now Fully In Swing

With Fall Ball starting, the Eagle High lacrosse girls are warming up their sticks and preparing for the Hot Potato Tournament. The Hot Potato Tournament is the pre-season lacrosse game where the lacrosse girls get to see a first glance at their competition. This year, it is through Sept. 30 and Oct. 1. How they are playing is currently undecided.  

The Eagle High girls’ lacrosse team battled courageously for the ball in a game last year. Fall Ball has begun for the school year and the team conditions daily to get in shape for the season. (Annie Ward)

Fall ball is one of the most exciting events for lacrosse players at Eagle High. All the girls have waited since the end of the spring season to play in this tournament.  

Junior Alyssa Adrian shared her excitement for Fall Ball to start. She has played lacrosse for five years and has been at varsity since her sophomore year.  

“I am absolutely excited for fall ball starting up. It will help me continue working so I can become a better player when the spring comes,” Adrian said.  

Adrian plays mainly as a midfielder. There are 12 players on the field: three midfielders, four defenders, four offenders, and one goalie.  

The goalie on the team, senior Kailee Dyberg, has racked up over 100 saves total just last season.  

Dyberg started lacrosse for the first time in her sophomore year and began on JV. Since junior year, she has made varsity and has been making saves in every game since. During her junior year, she gained the name “Brick Wall” due to no balls getting past her.  

“Amazing. It’s scary, but it’s awesome at the same time. [I] get to protect the goal and help your teammates in a way,” Dyberg said about her feelings for playing lacrosse.  

This Fall Ball season is racked up with great players, including Junior Ava “Frank” Smith. She was put on Varsity during her freshman year and has become a valuable player on the team due to her being an outstanding defensive player.  

“It was a challenge. It was fun playing with all the older girls. Met a lot of cool people,” Smith said when reflecting on her experience of varsity during her freshman year. 

Smith has been training all summer for lacrosse, and with the help of Fall Ball, spring will be a breeze.   

“I have been training over the summer with a couple of girls on the current team. Just going out and passing around,” Smith said.  

Lacrosse has been a valuable sport for many girls, and Fall Ball is the best time to see the new competition within Eagle High and schools around the district.