Students at Eagle High love Spotify Wrapped

Sophomore+Graham+Patterson+stands+in+the+lower+east+hall+of+Eagle+High.+The+screen+of+his+phone+shows+what+his+preference+in+music+was+in+the+last+12+months.+His+music+taste+changes+throughout+the+year%2C+and+Spotify+Wrapped+can+be+a+fun+way+to+reflect+on+the+year.+
Branson Faulk
Sophomore Graham Patterson stands in the lower east hall of Eagle High. The screen of his phone shows what his preference in music was in the last 12 months. His music taste changes throughout the year, and Spotify Wrapped can be a fun way to reflect on the year.

Music connects everyone as one of the few universal mediums in the world. There are thousands of different genres, and most people wonder what song or artist they listen to most. That is where Spotify Wrapped comes in.

Spotify Wrapped is a massive thing at Eagle High. Students love to compare top artists and songs that they have listened to throughout the year. In said “wrap,” that came out Nov. 29 of this year Spotify tells listeners what songs they listen to the most, what their top genre was, and what songs they liked. One big topic of conversation when it releases is to ask how much they listened that year, counted by Spotify in minutes.

The fun tradition among friends and family when Spotify Wrapped is released is to ask what each other’s Wrapped looks like. This tradition started about eight years ago in 2015, when Spotify began releasing Wrapped out to users of the app and digital platform. Most of the time people ask each other broad questions like “What is your top genre? “or “Who was your top artist?”, but sometimes, it’s fun to talk about it, not only with your friends.

“My family and I usually compare our Wrapped because we have a lot of similar music taste, but where it differs it’s really fun to see that,” said sophomore Chloe Brishler. Brishler also likes to post parts of their Wrapped on Instagram and laugh over the statistics with their friends.

In 2021, Spotify began making Blended playlists, which allows the listener and a friend or family member to have a playlist with music that they both like. With the advent of this new feature, it is easier than ever to compare and learn about people’s varietal and complex music tastes.

According to a recent Instagram poll, students averaged 68,062 minutes this year, and the most popular genre among those polled was Pop. Some other popular genres included rock, indie and alternative. Seems like Spotify is a big part of the life of one Eagle High student. The student polled had the absolutely jaw-dropping amount of 190,009 minutes of listening time. That is 131 days non-stop.

Overall, it seems that Spotify Wrapped has not only become commonplace in friend groups, but a great little surprise to have before the Christmas season. Students should check their Wrapped when they get the chance.

Sophomore Brock Yadon stands in the cafeteria of Eagle High, and his phone shows what his taste in music was in the last year. Everybody likes getting their Spotify Wrapped. It is always interesting to see what artist they have listened to the most. (Branson Faulk)