The Library Holds a Gaming Event and Gets an Unexpected Turnout

The+library+can+be+a+productive+and+quiet+study+environment%2C+but+it+can+also+be+a+fun+environment+with+great+events+such+as+the+Wii+bowling+tournament%2C+candy+count+and+five+days+of+Christmas+crafts.+
TJ Culpepper
The library can be a productive and quiet study environment, but it can also be a fun environment with great events such as the Wii bowling tournament, candy count and five days of Christmas crafts.

The library will be hosting a large array of events in December and onward. From the popular Wii Bowling Tournament, arts, and crafts, guess the amount of candy and the Literary Games Reading Challenge, the upcoming months are packed with fun. 

Every month besides April due to testing, the library will be holding events in which all students can participate. Events will be held during lunch in the library. Library staff Jennifer Italiano, Maxwell Yankovich and Laurie Norlin oversee all these happenings. All dates for the events can be found on the morning announcements, hallway videos, the library Instagram (@eaglehighschoollibrary) and the bulletin board posted in the upper south and east hall intersection.  

The library held a tournament style gaming event for Wii Bowling during November The tournament started on Oct. 30 and ended on Nov. 27 after the Thanksgiving break with a total of 36 participants in 18 teams. Last year, the Wii Bowling Tournament only had a total of 12 participants in six teams, a 300% increase of players. The team “The Skibidi Toilets” were the victors, consisting of sophomores Arya Panahi and Kanyon Linnarz.

“The tournament was fun. Obviously, it was competitive,”

— Emerson Hollingsworth

Students have requested to play another game after enjoying the Wii Bowling games. The conclusion was a Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament, which the library staff will host either February or March, but there is no final date currently.

“The tournament was fun. Obviously, it was competitive,” said sophomore Emerson Hollingsworth. “If I were to do another thing in the library, I would do the crafts.” The library hosts an arts and crafts event every month where students are supplied with all items and directions to make an art piece with friends. The next arts and crafts week will take place the week before winter break. 

For future and current programs, the library will be hosting a bookmark contest every November where the winner will have their bookmark printed and any student can take one. The 2023 winner was sophomore Jaxson Crawford. The “Guess the Amount of Candy” event will take place during December and March. Also, in December the library will be hiding five candy canes each day for students to find. Students may only find one candy cane per day. 

A brand-new West Ada game created by librarians, the “Literary Games Reading Challenge” is held district-wide, and anyone can sign-up during the month of December. 

“The challenge is to read 30 books from 35 categories during December through April. Students will need to document each book they have read in the Literary Games Journal which is supplied when they sign up,” Italiano said. “All books must be at least 100 pages. Reading 30 books can be challenging so there are offering different completion levels: bronze equals 10 books, silver equals 20 books and gold equals 30 books.”  

Winners in the bronze bracket will receive a cinch backpack with a logo, those in silver bracket will receive a black T–shirt with a logo, and winners in the gold bracket will receive a black sweatshirt with a logo. 

The Eagle High library staff will also be giving out rewards. For signing up, students will receive a journal and the choice of a button with the Literary Games logo on it. For reading five books, fill out the reading journal and show a library staff to receive a sticker of any choice. A pack of gum will be given for reading 10 books, A full-sized candy bar for reading 15 books, a stress ball for reading 20 books and a reading rubber duck for 25 books read. 

The library is not just reading and printing, it has access said to all the fun anyone could ask for. From the gaming tournaments, annual bookmark contest, guess the amount of candy games, finding candy and the new Literary Games Reading Challenge, the library staff make sure to add their spice to Eagle High.