November News Briefs

Acting 

The Advanced Acting class is performing the pieces that they’ve practiced the last two months on at District Competition at Kuna High School on Nov. 18. Auditions for the Spring Play will be sometime in December before Winter Break. 

Book Club 

The Eagle High Book Club is currently working on designing a t-shirt for the members. Their last meeting was on Nov. 7 during lunch in the library.  It was a great opportunity for the members of the club to promote the love of literature in a positive and nurturing environment. Book Club allows students to build a richer understanding of the book they are reading and discuss their opinions, likes and dislikes, of a book in a small student environment that is not graded or heavily structured. The club is currently reading “The Call of the Wild” by Jack London. Any student is welcome to join. They will just need a signed permission slip. Members do not have to read every book. If they have many of outside activities, they might want to read only one or two of the four or five books the club reads during the school year. All book selections are chosen by the members of the book club and provided to students through library loans.  

Chess Club 

The Chess Club will participate in the annual EHS Chess Club Winter Freeze. This takes place Dec. 7 after school in the Eagle High library. The club encourages students to come battle for the main prize and see who the next winner will be. Prizes at the door will be given out.  

Choir 

The Sonus Choir sang with the Thundering Mustang Band and the Orchestra on Nov. 9, practicing for performances in the future. 

Creative Writers Club 

For November, the Creative Writers Club is working on writing children’s books for the kids at St. Luke Children’s Hospital. It is not clarified if they will be reading them to the kids yet, but the details of the event are in the works. 

Debate Team 

The Debate club had a Borah High novice tournament on Oct. 20 and City of Trees on Oct. 21. On the same day as the tournament, the varsity members on the team judged the competition while some of the novice members competed. They won three rounds. On Oct. 21, the varsity debaters completed, and sophomore Megan Baird and junior Savannah Bub went undefeated, getting first place in policy.  

Earth Club 

Over the last month, the Earth Club participated in HOSA’s trunk or treat event. They enjoyed telling people about the club and participating in a school event. 

German Club 

German Club is currently meeting every second Friday in Portable E (only on B-days.) Their next meetings will be on Nov. 10, Dec. 8 and Dec. 22. During the clubs December meetings, they will learn about German Christmas culture and food. 

HOSA 

HOSA is a club specifically catered to high school students who have an interest in careers in healthcare. The club provides opportunities for skill-building, leadership development and community service in the healthcare field. The main event for HOSA is the State Conference that will be held at ISU in Pocatello from March 6 to March 8. During state, there are over 50 individual and group events that students can compete in to strengthen their understanding of healthcare. Recently, HOSA participated in the Trunk or Treat on Oct. 30, where the club provided activities for children and handed out treats. HOSA focused on healthcare related activities, such as teaching children how and when to use EpiPens and how to do CPR. The kids were very amused with the activities, while also learning important skills. 

Key Club 

Key Club is partnering with the Kiwanis for their annual Turkey Drive on Nov. 17 in front of the Albertsons in Eagle. The club is also helping babysit teacher’s kids for the teacher workday on the Nov. 15. 

Marching Band 

Marching Band had an elementary tour on Oct. 27 where they went to eight schools to play for the kids to encourage them to join band. They are currently working on arrangements for a Veterans Day performance and then will begin rehearsing Christmas music. 

National Honors Society  

The NHS has about ten upcoming volunteer projects in the month of November already planned out including things like volunteering at the Meridian Food Bank, participating in the Ronald McDonald houses hygiene drive, the Rake Up Eagle event and more. In October, the club participated in multiple trunk or treat events including the Eagle High one.