The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

Eagle High Golf is in Full Swing this 2023 Season

Parker Shipp
Member of the Eagle High golf team, senior Zach Shipp stands next to a pin after getting a hole in one while playing at Boise Ranch Golf Course. The team is working hard this season.

The Eagle High golf season is now underway. The girls’ golf team recently won their first tournament of the year at Banbury Golf Course during the Eagle Invite tournament. While also placing second in their first tripod match against Rocky Mountain High and Mountain View High.  

The boys didn’t love their start but have the players to quickly turn the season around. Players that are willing to put in the work needed to win is what it is going to take, and Eagle High has that mentality.  

“The boys were disappointedly placed third in the Eagle Invitational at Banbury,” said senior Zach Shipp. 

Both Eagle High girls’ and boys’ teams are looking to have a great season this year as the girls placed fourth in state last year while the boys placed first.  

“I’m feeling pretty good about the team this year. Only nine girls tried out which worried me a little, but after our first match both varsity and JV’s players placed every match,” said sophomore and golfer Indie Taylor. 

The boys’ varsity team also has some returning players hoping to have an awesome season, players such as Shipp and senior Wheaton Ennis. Shipp looks to propel their team to the state championship. Ennis is committed to Texas A&M, which is ranked 13th in the country in the D1 Golf division. Wheaton competes in big tournaments around the country.  

According to jgaa.org, “[Ennis] currently sits at 22nd in the Rolex AJGA ranking with over 239 total points.”  

In addition to being ranked 13th in the country’s D1 golf rankings, Texas A&M golf is also currently ranked 13th in the country for the spring only Golfweek ranking for the 2023 men’s collegiate golf season.  

The Eagle High golf team will be an exciting one to watch this upcoming season.