One of the top Super Bowls of all time came down to the wire

Aren Monk

Eagles Receiver AJ Brown was a prime player in this year’s Super Bowl.

Aren Monk, Reporter

Super Bowl LVII was a contest between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles. This year, the venue was in Phoenix, Arizona at State Farm Stadium, where the Arizona Cardinals plays.

This year’s Super Bowl was just different; Travis and Jason Kelce became the first brothers to play against each other in a Super Bowl, The Chiefs’ head coach Andy Reid was playing against his former team that he led to a Super Bowl against the Patriots and the MVP QB Patrick Mahomes was playing against the MVP runner up Jalen Hurts.

Coming into the Super Bowl, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Kansas City Chiefs had identical records. They also had identical points scored coming into the game. The Eagles were favored by 1.5 points over the Chiefs because many people believed that the Chiefs could not stop Hurts.

According to npr.org, “This contest was evenly matched. On paper, the Eagles and Chiefs were the two best teams in the NFL this season (seeded number one in their conferences). They had identical records (16-3), and both had each scored 546 points. Coming into the Super Bowl, Philadelphia was a slight 1.5-point favorite.”

By halftime, the score was 24-14, the Eagles looked like they could run away with this Super Bowl and have Mahomes lose his second in four years. But the Chiefs game plan against the Eagles had changed, and going into the fourth quarter, the score was 28-27 with the Chiefs in the lead.

In the last five minutes of the game, the score was tied 35-35 with the Chiefs having the ball in scoring position. The Eagles cornerback James Bradberry was guarding the Chiefs receiver Juju Smith-Schuster. Bradberry was called for a holding penalty which left fans at the game frustrated. Many people think that the referees were in favor of the Chiefs after the game.

“I think that the refs were on the side of the Chiefs the entire playoffs,” said sophomore Nathaniel Dutchover. “I think that the Eagles should have won the game.”

The Kansas City Chiefs then went on to win Super Bowl LVII with a score of 38-35 with a late game field goal win by Harrison Butker. This gave the Chiefs their second Super Bowl victory in four seasons. Mahomes won the Super Bowl MVP, and Travis Kelce beat his brother Jason Kelce on the biggest stage of pro football.

This Super Bowl will be remembered as one of the greatest Super Bowls of all time due to the hype up around the game and the outcome of the game.