September News Briefs

Leah Barnes

More stories from Leah Barnes

Club Briefs
April 10, 2023

ASL Club 

ASL club meetings are in S104 during lunch on Tuesday on B days.  The club is working on designing a club shirt.  The officers are president senior Bianca Ravago, vice president senior Lauren Brown, secretary junior Hannah Burnstein, historian junior Jack Windsor and rookies freshman Elisia Henry and freshman Isabelle Bodily.   

Chess Club 

The current president and creator of chess club is junior Ethan Nichols, and teacher Stephen Pratt is the advisor. 

For friendship and camaraderie, as well as merciless attacks and takedowns, there is no place better than EHS’s well-organized chess club. Chess Club is great for friendship and fun. No matter how skilled or unskilled a student is, the club welcomes everyone of all levels.  

They meet Wednesdays and Fridays every week after school and learn to better themselves at chess. Mr. Henderson teaches chess to everyone, and the students put his lessons to the test. The club is looking forward to hopefully hosting a chess tournament at Eagle High. They also are going to start posting up a board in the bottom south wall that will have a weekly chess puzzle. Students can solve it, take a picture and bring it to Chess Club to earn a prize.  

Choir 

Choir sang the National Anthem at the Homecoming game.  

Debate 

On Oct. 21, the Borah Novice will be taking place. On Oct. 22, the City of Trees Varsity Tournament will be taking place. On Nov. 4 and Nov. 5, the CCC will be taking place at Columbia. On Nov. 11 and Nov. 12, there will be a tournament at Meridian High.  

Earth Club 

The first Earth Club meeting was on Sept. 7. They went over basic information, did introductions and started officer elections. Soon, the club will be starting up the Eagle High compost pile again and reaching out to local organizations for volunteering and community service opportunities. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to come check out the club. They meet on Wednesdays in teacher Jennifer Foster’s room, which is SE200. 

FCCLA 

FCCLA’s Chapter meetings are two times a month during lunch in teacher Leta Kipper’s classroom. BASIC training, which is Building & Achieving Success in Idaho Chapters, will be Oct. 6. This is for Chapter Officers. The FCCLA District Three Fall Conference will be Oct. 14 at the JUMP building in Boise.  This is an opportunity for networking and building leadership skills for all members. 

FFA 

FFA had several members participate in the Western Idaho Fair. Junior Taylor Storm showed a market steer, senior Ashley Durrer showed a market lamb, senior Maggie Ross showed a market lamb, sophomore Hannah Stocker showed a rabbit and senior Morgan Crosgrove showed a horse. They all raised and trained these animals to get them ready for the fair.  

FFA had their annual Boise Valley FFA District Leadership Workshop and Barbecue on Monday, Sept. 12 at the District Service Center.  

German Club 

German Club will be electing new officers and deciding on when to meet. Students should stop by teacher Rob Getzin’s room if they are interested in participating, or email [email protected]. The club has a lot of fun activities planned for this year.  

HOSA 

The club had their first meeting on Sept. 14 to provide information to anyone interested in pursuing a health career. 

Japanese Club 

Japanese had its opening social cancelled due to the terrible air quality, but they moved it inside and watched an awesome Japanese movie while eating junk food. 

Key Club 

In September, Key Club held their first official meeting and has fundraised by working sports concessions. They have also babysat the teachers’ kids during the school open house and will paint pumpkins for the Spring Creek Senior Center, as well as visit them and have game nights. Anyone is welcome to still join, so students can come to the next meeting on Friday, Sept. 30. 

Outdoor Adventure Club 

The Outdoor Adventure Club is heading to Bruneau Sand Dunes on Oct. 8 for the October trip and then to Smith’s Crack in November. Other than that, the club is trying to plan the rest of the trips for the year. 

Ski and Snowboard Team 

The first meeting will be held on Friday, Oct. 7 at lunch in room S212. 

StuCo 

Student Council oversaw assigning senior parking spots in August. They worked on the Homecoming Parade and Homecoming Royalty and are planning the Trunk or Treat in October. 

TSA 

Officer Basic Training will be held on Oct. 6 at Northwest Nazarene University.  This is open to all Officers in the Technical Student Association.  The training will educate officers on how to conduct meetings in TSA and on rules and regulations.  Registration fees are due to the bookkeeper by Sept. 26.   

Yearbook 

In Yearbook, they are working on training the new members. They are doing this by teaching them the goals that they want to accomplish this year. Also, they have been working on getting to know each staff member by playing “get to know you” games and doing activities. If they are going to be working together all year, it is important to feel comfortable with each other, as well as be able to approach each other.