The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

Eagle High Students ‘Spill their Guts’ Over this Deluxe Edition of Olivia Rodrigo’s Album

TJ Culpepper
Olivia Rodrigo’s “GUTS” deluxe album hits top 100 in the billboards.

Just three years ago, the world knew Olivia Rodrigo as the girl from Disney Channel. But in 2021, Olivia Rodrigo made a new name for herself and has quickly rose to become one of the nation’s biggest modern pop stars. Her debut album, “SOUR” charted 11songs on the Billboard’s Hot 100, with “Driver’s License” at number one, with “Good for You” and “Déjà vu” at two and three.  

According to grammy’s.com, “Olivia Rodrigo wins a Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Album for ‘SOUR’ in 2022.” Rodrigo also won Best New Artist the same year. 

Now, she has done it again with her second album “GUTS” with its 12 tracks on the Billboard Hot 100, in the top forty within a week of its release. Rodrigo’s hit single “Vampire” spent nine weeks in the number one spot, matching Miley Cyrus’s “Wrecking Ball” for the most consecutive weeks at the top in 2021. The album was also nominated for three Grammy’s and many other awards. “Vampire” won the Song of the Year at the 2024 People’s Choice Awards.  

The excitement grew as Rodrigo announced that she would be doing an international tour for “GUTS”, which kicked off on Feb. 23 in California. The pop-rock singer kept the enthusiasm going when she released five new songs on the album called “GUTS (spilled)”, a new deluxe version of the album. It was released on March 22 and had fans in an excited chaos over the new hit songs.  

The first deluxe song, “Obsessed”, is an angsty song about Rodrigo being jealous of her boyfriends’ exes. She is “obsessed” with the girls he dated before and how she compares to them.  

The second spilled song, “Girl I’ve Always Been,” is about growing up and coming into oneself. In the song, Rodrigo is accused of changing by becoming less soft and sweet. She responds by saying that this is who she has always been and is confident in her identify.  

The third song is titled, “Scared of my Guitar”, is about having mixed feelings in a romantic relationship. In the song Rodrigo says that she is afraid to pick up her guitar because when she plays music her real feelings come out and she doesn’t want to stop “pretending it’s love” in her relationship. 

The fourth song “Stranger” is an uplifting song about finally moving on from an ex and how liberating that feels. Rodrigo talks about moving forward but not harboring any ill feelings towards her ex.  

The fifth and last song is called “So American”. Contradictory to most Rodrigo’s songs, “So American” is not about breaking up but falling in love, falling so deep that she is in pure bliss.  

“My favorite deluxe song is ‘So American’ because it is upbeat and fun compared to other songs,” said sophomore Brooke Bondi.  

The five songs on “GUTS (spilled)” have done tremendously well. According to billboards.com, “In the first week of being released the new version of the album was voted to be Americas number one new release.”