The 2024 Track and Field Season is off to a Great Start

Branson Faulk
Senior A.J Ringert and sophomores Jackson Porter and Max Taggart stand with their coach Nick Hampton. Hampton is the Eagle High cross-country coach as well as the middle-distance coach for track here at Eagle High. They are celebrating after a successful day of running.

The 2024 track and field season kicked off on Feb. 23. This year provided a big turnout of students, with many newbies joining the team. New coaches were also welcomed this year, making a total of seven coaches, with teacher Greg Harm as the head coach.  

Practices started strong with everyone practicing for the first meet against Middleton on March 8.  But many of the athletes have been preparing for the season with winter conditioning long before practice officially started.  

“It doesn’t matter where you are starting from, just that you are committed to improving yourself every day over and over again,” said sophomore distance runner Anna Glenn, who was asked  about the importance of dedication throughout off season training, “You may not notice how much of a difference it makes then, but the work you put in will start to show when you start achieving things you never thought you could do.”  

For many long-distance kids, sprinters, throwers and jumpers alike, the season never stopped after last year. For example, long distance students ran all summer to prepare for cross country season in the fall. Then, after a short break, they jumped right back into running for winter conditioning.

Off season training is just as important as training during the season because staying in shape in the off season helps athletes prevent in-season injuries. It also makes the adjustment of starting practice again easier on students’ bodies, making the transition into the season smoother.  

As the transition is complete and track and field season is well on its way, there’s a lot to look forward to. Track offers a variety of events, from sprinting the 100 meters, running the 3200, to throwing the discus and jumping in the high or long jump, everyone will find an event that’s right for them. Within each event or group of events, students will find a community of like-minded kids who enjoy the same activities as them. This group will very quickly become like family.

Track and Field head coach Greg Harm stands on the Eagle High football field with a stopwatch in hand. He is pleased with the outcome of a duel with Middleton High, an Eagle High win. (Branson Faulk)

“The atmosphere is almost better than the running,” said junior sprinter Grace Tommasini.  

Not only do students look forward to time with their friends but also to competing. All the hard work put in at practice is showcased in meets that occur about every two weeks. Track and field is a very individual sport, students are often more competing against themselves, rather than students from other schools.  

During meets, athletes have a chance to test themselves in high pressure situations, to see how well they perform. Each meet, students try to reach a new PR or personal record. Beating their PR provides a constant goal to strive for, a challenge to meet. It allows students to have something to focus on and drives them to train as much as possible, so they can perform their best.   

Every season is a chance for athletes to improve and better themselves, as well as enjoy time with friends, the 2024 season is no different. To follow the team and their progress go to ehs_running on Instagram.