Eagle High Students Share their Opinion on Which is Better: Skiing or Snowboarding

TJ Culpepper
Eagle High students and families spent a snow day up at Bogus Basin Ski Resort on April 16, 2022. Both skiers and snowboarders ride together even with the ongoing debate about which is better.

During the cold Idaho winter, there are many fun activities to do. Especially when the snow piles up, skiing and snowboarding are some of the most popular sports and activities among many to do in the winter.  

People are constantly debating over which winter sport is better, Skiing or Snowboarding.   

According to a recent Instagram poll, 70% of Eagle High students enjoy skiing and 30% of students enjoy snowboarding.  

Both skiing and snowboarding provide fun on the mountain and both are great options, but students generally like skiing more because it can be easier to learn.  

“I like snowboarding over skiing because I like to ride park more and do more tricks, and skiing isn’t orientated towards that,” said junior Aaven McRoberts.  

Many people that enjoy park riding, enjoy a snowboard for more variety, but both skiing and snowboarding are great options in the park. 

Skiing is generally faster, and many highschoolers love that about skiing. Riding a snowboard with a experienced skier will make riders feel very slow. 

“I like skiing because I can go as fast as possible, and if I fall, I can just land on powder and get back up,” said junior Aiden Niehaus. 

There are many pros to both skiing and snowboarding, but at the end of the day, both can provide the same things. For example, if park riding is preferred, there are special skis and snowboards to buy for that. Also, if powder is preferred, finding specific skis and snowboards for that terrain will be easy. 

At the end of the day, either option can’t go wrong, but one might feel more natural to specific styles of riding.