The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

Many Girls are Being Empowered in the Women’s Innovators Club

The Women’s Innovators is a nonprofit organization in Idaho, also known as W.IN. The club at Eagle High is a smaller part of the main organization and it brings the same ideas to the school and the students in it.   

Senior Emily Wrapp loves this club and all it has to offer here at Eagle High. She hopes that more women decide to join the club. (Izzy Rios)

W.IN Women Innovators stated that the goal of the organization is to create a place for women to succeed in life. It wants to make a change and advance women into the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) system. W.IN has since impacted over 1,000 women across Idaho.  

Senior Emy Bailey is on the youth council in W.IN of Idaho. She brought W.IN to Eagle High and started the club. 

Teacher Sally Pham is the advisor for the club. Students in the club get an amazing opportunity to attend the SheTech annual conference. At the conference, students take part in different workshops in the STEM field.  

Women She Council explained that SheTech is a program trying to encourage young women to get careers in STEM. It is held at the College of Idaho around the beginning of each year. It is a hands-on program with different workshops and opportunities to help girls explore the STEM fields.  

Research shows that at young ages, male and female students actually show the same level of skills in STEM but interest in STEM from female students drops dramatically when they reach the age of about 15,” Pham said. “While we’re just starting out this year, we’re hoping to increase membership over the next few years and plan more events like having guest speakers, starting a partnership program that matches students with STEM professionals to serve as mentors, or more field trips.” 

“All of us have a goal of working towards STEM careers, and we all help each other to achieve that,” said junior Claire Masters.  

They meet during lunch. This club at Eagle High is excited to get more people involved in the program and form new relationships.