February News Briefs

Academic Decathlon

The Aca Deca Club competed in the Academic Decathlon Regional Competition the weekend of Feb. 9 through Feb.11. The club had several students medal individually, and they all did a great job overall. The list of medalists and their respective categories are as follows:

Language and Literature 

Scholastic – sophomore Emilia Defonte – silver medal

Music 

Honors – senior Bree Schwendiman – bronze medal

Scholastic – senior Isabelle Hall – bronze medal

Varsity – junior Danny Leming – bronze medal

Science

Essay

Honors – sophomore Ariyanna Thompson – gold medal

Honors – senior Bree Schwendiman – silver medal

Scholastic – senior Isabelle Hall – silver medal

Scholastic – sophomore Emilia Defonte – bronze medal

Varsity – sophomore Bailey Roberts – bronze medal

Speech

Honors – senior Grace Bach – silver medal

Interview

Acting

“The Yellow Boat” by David Saar was be put on by the Eagle High Fourth Wall Players theatre department from Feb. 21-24. The play followed a little boy receiving a blood transfusion during the HIV/AIDS crisis in America. This play strayed from the comedic farces and humor of the past plays, but was a very heartfelt play that tugged on audience members heart-strings. Senior Bradley Fischer was Benjamin, the 8-year-old boy with a bright imagination. Senior Jack Windsor played his writer father, while junior Marin Weaver was the boy’s caring Mother. Sophomore Ally Godfrey was the child-care specialist helping Benjamin through his journey. Junior Lauren Avery played the little boy’s best friend, Eddy and junior Cole McAdams, sophomore Taylor Milliot and freshman Katiana Lovitt were the chorus members who play many background roles throughout the play.

The Advanced Acting Class is currently in their “Uta Hagen Unit,” learning from the famous actress’ book “Respect For Acting.” They will soon pick their ensemble pieces from a One Act play for their “Senior Showcase” coming up in May.

Band

The Band has started to learn festival music for the beginning of March. They will be playing “October,” “English Folk Song Suite” and “Silver and Gold Beneath the Waves.” Band teacher, TJ Eriksen is back and the members are so happy to have him teaching again.

BPA

The BPA club continues to meet every week during lunch on Wednesdays in teacher Joe Gossi’s room E201. The club competed in their State Conference from Feb. 12 through Feb. 14.

Key Club

Key Club is making valentines for the Veterans for Veterans Day. They also made valentines with the special needs class.

NHS

NHS will be participating in many service opportunities soon such as the Seven Oaks Math Night, and volunteering at the Meridian food bank the month of February. For the school, the club will be helping with basketball concessions during game nights as well as participating in the used book drive.

TSA
TSA has their State Conference coming up on Feb. 29.