‘The Yellow Boat’ is arriving at Eagle High

Carina Teebken
“The Yellow Boat” cast sits on the Eagle High stage for a cast photo after a successful day of rehearsing their upcoming play. This is the cast from left to right: Junior Marin Weaver, sophomore Ally Godfrey, sophomore Taylor Milliot, senior Jack Windsor, senior Bradley Fischer, junior Lauren Avery, freshman Katiana Lovitt and junior Cole McAdams.

Eagle High’s theater department is getting ready for their newest production, “The Yellow Boat.” The play conveys a deep message that tells the story of many people. This play honors the life of a real 8-year-old child who had sickle cell anemia in the early 1980s, contracting HIV/AIDS from a blood transfusion.

“This isn’t supposed to be a super sad play,” said senior Bradley Fischer. “It is supposed to be about how the human mind can overcome terrible situations and still live to the fullest.”

Other students in the play want to point out the importance of what they will be performing.

“It is a very tragic experience to lose a child, but it’s also a celebration of life to know the kind of person he was, as well as the enduring fight he put up against the virus,” said senior Jack Windsor. “People need to hear each other’s stories because it gives a sense of maturity, as well as an open-mindedness to different experiences and emotions that are attached to the story being told.”

The students in the play have been rehearsing for about two weeks and meeting in the auditorium to rehearse until 5:00 p.m. This will be their schedule until opening night on Feb. 21.

The cast includes senior Bradley Fischer as Benjamin, junior Marin Weaver as the mother, senior Jack Windsor as the father, sophomore Allyson Godfrey as Joy, junior Lauren Avery as Eddy, sophomore Taylor Milliot as Chorus Number 1, junior Cole McAdams as Chorus Number 2 and freshman Katiana Lovitt as Chorus Number 3.

“People should see this play because it’s really inspiring; it’s meant to make you appreciate the life we all got and be proud about how strong the human spirit is,” Fischer said.

According to the students who are taking part in this play, they have been working as hard as they can, and they are looking forward to this day so that people can be motivated by their performance. The cost to get into the play is six dollars with a student ID and eight dollars without. Students and family will be able to get them at the entrance of the Eagle High auditorium. The play will run from Feb. 21 to Feb. 24.