The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

Eagle High’s Favorite 2023 Music Albums Are In

In+addition+to+Taylor+Swift%2C+artists+such+as+Travis+Scott%2C+Noah+Kahan+and+Laufey+have+released+new+albums+this+year.+2023+has+been+a+monumental+year+for+both+new+and+returning+artists.++
Annie Ward
In addition to Taylor Swift, artists such as Travis Scott, Noah Kahan and Laufey have released new albums this year. 2023 has been a monumental year for both new and returning artists.

From pop to alternative or rap to country, the music genre preferences of students at Eagle High vary greatly. This year, there have been new albums from artists of all genres that have been released. As the year comes to a close, Eagle High students recall their favorite albums from the year and how their preferred music has moved them.

One of the most notable albums to be released this year was Taylor Swift’s “1989 (Taylor’s Version).” She re-released some fan favorites such as “Blank Space” and “Shake It Off” as well as songs labelled “From the Vault” that she had never yet released, such as “Suburban Legends” and “Now That We Don’t Talk.”

“Her first albums were my childhood,” said sophomore Lucy Hansen. “It’s just fun to have those songs re-come out.”

Moving into the rap genre, some students at Eagle High enjoyed Travis Scott’s Utopia album. The album featured guest appearances from various famous artists, such as Drake, Playboi Carti, Beyoncé, Bad Bunny, The Weeknd, SZA and more.

“I like [Travis Scott] because he is very influential,” said sophomore Hunter Hales. “It’s good music.”

Another popular album this year was “Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever)” by the indie folk singer Noah Kahan. Kahan wrote his first album during the pandemic, which quickly rose to popularity with its relatable lyrics describing periods of drawn-out loneliness turned into self-discovery. He released the upgraded version of this album this year with new songs such as “Call Your Mom” and “Northern Attitude” that hit home for his fans at Eagle High.

With jazz music making a comeback, some students enjoyed signer and songwriter, Laufey’s new album, “Bewitched.” This romantic album features very classical, very old-timey sounding songs such as “Lovesick” and “From the Start.”

“My hope is that an older audience finds a sound in my music that reminds them of when they were younger,” said singer Laufey in an interview with NPR. “And my hope for a younger audience is that it’s introducing something new, but then also something that can just bring audiences together.”

2023 has been a transformative year for the music industry. With albums from both returning favorites and up-and-coming artists of all genres, Eagle High students have had a lot of new music to discover this year.