Here are Some Great Fall Books to Read with Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Warm Sweaters

With the weather cooling down, it’s time for hot cocoa/coffee, cable knit sweaters, orange leaves and a good spooky book
Sean Asay
The fall season is here, and senior Max Morehouse checked out some books at the Eagle High library to get into the fall mood.

Whether one’s taste in books is horror, romance, mystery or thriller many students love to cuddle up with their favorite hot drink, a warm blanket and a good book.

A good book recommendation for fall is “The Dead Romantics” by Ashley Poston. It’s pretty easy to assume how it relates to the topics of the spooky season just based on the title. “The Dead Romantics” follows a girl named Florance Day, a ghostwriter who writes romance novels. But when she goes through a bad breakup, she no longer believes in love or true romance.

When she asks her new editor for an extension, he refuses, but when tragedy strikes, she is forced to go back to the town that never understood her. When she gets to the funeral parlor’s front doors, she sees a ghost. That ghost is her editor, and he seems to have unfinished business.

“The Cellar” by Natasha Preston is another excellent book if one is looking for a fantastic psychological thriller. “The Cellar” is based on a girl named Summer Robinson who goes missing at 16. No one can find her, and time is running out. Being trapped in a cellar with other girls, Summer soon learns of her captor’s true thoughts of his victims. His perfect family…his pure flowers.

Senior Ivan Warner finds the perfect book for autumn. (Sean Asay)

“Verity” by Collen Hoover is the third book on this list. “Verity” contains many explicit scenes and is recommended for mature audiences only. Similar to “The Dead Romantics,” this is a psychological thriller about a ghostwriter named Lowen Ashleigh. When Lowen thinks her career is over, she gets a huge offer.

Jeremy Crawford, the husband of Verity, a bestselling author, hires Lowen to complete the remaining books in Verity’s series. This was due to an injury, leaving her unable to finish them herself.

When Lowen arrives at the Crawford House, she begins picking apart Verity’s notes and uncovers a horrifying manuscript of an autobiography. Verity never intended anyone to read the bone-chilling confessions in her autobiography, including the truth about the day she and her husband’s daughter died. Lowen never wants Jeremy to read the manuscript, but as she begins to develop feelings for him, she begins to rely on how much she could benefit from him reading it.

The final recommendation is “The Silent Patient” by Alex Michaelides. “The Silent Patient” is about Alicia Berenson, whose life is seemingly perfect; she has a great husband and is a successful painter. But when she shoots her husband five times in the face, she never speaks again.

Her art becomes more desirable, and she becomes known as “the silent patient”. She gets hidden away in a forensic unit in Northen Londan. When criminal psychotherapist Theo Faber decides to take on her case, he must know what happened. He is determined to uncover the truth, and in the process, he feels it begin to consume him.

Whether ones favorite genre is romance, horror, thriller or psychological these books will satisfy ones need for the perfect spooky season book.