“Do You Get Déjà vu?”

Olivia Rodrigo is back with a new album two years after her debut ‘SOUR’
TJ Culpepper
Olivia Rodrigo’s “GUTS” album was recently released at Target.

Gen Z pop star, Olivia Rodrigo, announced back in June that her newly released album “GUTS” would come out on Sept. 8. Rodrigo’s career began to take off music-wise after releasing her critically acclaimed debut album “SOUR” in 2021.

Rodrigo started her career in acting, for her lead roles in the Disney shows “Bizaardvark” and “High School Musical: The Musical the Series.” After writing the songs “All I Want” and “Just for a Moment” for the hit show “High School Musical: The Musical the Series,” she started to gain recognition for her musical talent.  

In 2020, Rodrigo signed with Interscope and Geffen Records. She later released her debut single called “drivers license,” breaking records. Soon after, she released 11 songs on her debut album “SOUR.” Rodrigo broke multiple records with this album in the music industry like number one debuts, all 11 songs landing in the top 50s of the billboard top 100 and the biggest opening week for an album by a female artist. Fans believe Rodrigo’s album was a great start to her career, perfectly representing a teenage girl finding her way in life.  

After releasing “SOUR,” fans were waiting patiently for her to release a new album over the past two years. On June 26, Rodrigo finally announced the official sophomore album on all of her social media platforms.  

“My sophomore album GUTS comes out September 8th. I am so proud of this record and I can’t wait to share it with you all! U can presave it now! xoxoxoxo,” she said.  

Fans have been following her along the way as she has slowly been dropping hints and teasers. Releasing her first single from her sophomore album “vampire,” leading to the announcement of the “GUTS” album and shortly after “bad idea right?” Both singles were released with music videos, helping fans get an idea of what her new album will be like.  

Rodrigo has made it very clear that “GUTS” is supposed to represent a new chapter in her life and how she has grown between the times her albums were released. When two singles for her new album came out, fans immediately compared them to beloved songs on “SOUR.” Rodrigo pointed out in her album announcement that the ultimate goal of this album is to showcase maturity and growing pains from who she is at this point of her life, compared to who she was when “SOUR” was released. She hopes that fans will relate as deeply as her with this album about change and growth, which is strongly reflected in her music.   

After announcing her album, fans have been following her along with teasers. Rodrigo posted a video of her in a purple room with hints of her track list throughout. The teaser was released the names of the songs like writing on a mirror and papers scattered throughout the room with the names. This caused fans to look for “easter eggs,” a Taylor Swift reference referring to hints of their music career, which is now used by similar artists. The full track list was eventually released on all her platforms with the new album cover. After releasing the album cover, eagle-eyed fans noticed that the new album kept the same color scheme, a lilac-purple and black color theme, which was also heavily-used for the “SOUR” album cover.

Below is the track list: 

1. “all-american b****”
  2. “bad idea right?” 
  3. “vampire”
  4.  “lacy” 
  5. “ballad of a homeschooled girl” 
  6. “making the bed” 
  7. “logical” 
  8. “get him back” 
  9. “love is embarrassing” 
  10. “the grudge” 
  11. “pretty isn’t pretty
  12. “teenage dream” 

Rodrigo’s fans were beyond-excited for her album release, but not as excited as Rodrigo herself.  

“I cannot express how excited I am to embrace on this new chapter of my life with you guys,” she said. 

Rodrigo has always been open about her personal life through her music, hence why her fans love her so much. Many relate to her on a certain level with her music and enjoy how raw her music can be. Now, after two years of waiting, “GUTS” is out now on all music platforms.  

View Comments (1)