December News Briefs

Kara Skiles, Photographer

Academic Decathlon  

The Academic Decathlon team just finished the late-December invitational competition and is awaiting the results. The Decathletes are now continuing to work on their speeches and will be competing in the regional competition early this year. 

Band 

The band worked on Christmas music to prepare for their concert on Dec. 15. They had four different pieces including The Polar Express, Charlie Brown Christmas, On a Cold Winter’s Night and Bashana Haba Ah. 

Business Professionals of America 

Students in Business Professionals of America went to the regional event on Saturday, Dec. 3, at Kuna High and were competing to qualify for State in February, in which they can try and qualify for Nationals in Anaheim in May. Congratulations goes to all the teams that qualified for the State Leadership Conference: 

• Nakita Didenko – 1st in Fundamental Word and Fundamentals of Accounting 
  • Shihara Fernando – 1st place in interview skills 
  • Tristan Walker, Cole Yearsley, Austin Baker – 1st in Global Marketing Team 
  • Sawyer Granof, Isaac Kieslewski, Aiden Niehaus – 2nd place in the Podcast Production Team  

FFA Club 

On Dec. 30, the FFA club had a chapter bonding event at Idaho Ice World. Anyone interested in joining FFA can talk to Mrs. Young in SE207 or email her at [email protected] 

GSA 

The GSA drop in lunch will resume on Jan. 11 in room S209 and in S118 on Jan. 25. Another lunch meeting with an undetermined topic will be held on Jan. 18 in S209. 

Key Club 

In Key Club last month, they sold candy cane grams through the week of Dec. 12 – Dec. 16. They are also doing a game night at the Spring Creek senior living center. Their next meeting will be in January. 

National Honors Society 

In NHS, each student is working on finishing up their 20 school and community hours before the end of the first semester. Students worked at the Eagle Country Christmas festival, volunteered at the Meridian Food Bank and donated items to Eagle High’s Giving Tree. They have enjoyed volunteering throughout the holiday season.  

Newspaper 

“The Stampede” Newspaper is hosting a Sadie Hawkins “Night at the Cinema” dance in the social center, on Saturday, Jan. 21 from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.  

Ski and Snowboarding Club 

Ski and Snowboard club is hosting a meeting on Wednesday, Dec. 14 about upcoming races. They are officially one month out from the first race at Bogus Basin on Jan. 14.  

Spanish Club 

The week of Dec. 12, the Spanish Club ate delicious Mexican food at La Casa Mexico in Eagle. 

Student Council 

The fall months in student council are primarily occupied with lots of small projects rather than one big one. Homecoming Week (September), Acts of Love (early spring) and Prom (late spring) are our big events of the year, so they have some freedom in their agenda between homecoming and acts of love. Last year they participated in the festival of trees, planned a blood drive and invested time and money into their deck the halls efforts. This time of the year is certainly not less busy than any other, but it is nice to have an open agenda that the ASB leaders can set. Starting this week, however, their Acts of Love committee will be a full force. They are very excited to make Acts of Love better than ever, so they have their work cut out for them the next few months.  

TSA Club 

The TSA Club is in the process of forming their teams and creating products to enter at the state TSA organization competition.