‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ was worth the wait

Jacob Roberson, Reporter

James Cameron was the director of the first and second “Avatar” movies. (Audrey Splaine)

The original “Avatar” is the highest grossing film of all-time, so it would make sense why director James Cameron decided to make a second in the series. Many fans were highly anticipating the sequel, but it didn’t come fast. It took 13 years for fans to get the long-awaited sequel.

Some say that “Avatar: The Way of Water” was a “flop” and not worth the wait, with the original “Avatar” being loved by many people all around the world. At the time of its original release in 2009, it was the greatest piece of visual cinematography ever created, according to some. Many went to see the movie, not because of the story, but because it was so revolutionary in terms of visuals for the movie world.

“Avatar is a great movie, and the visuals are even better,” said sophomore Nathan Dutchover.

Many others, however, believe the sequel was even better than the first because the visuals were even more outstanding. It came out in December of 2022, with a very high budget compared to the first film. In order for this movie to break even at the box office, it will have to gross over two billion dollars.

“Although the movie wasn’t bad, it wasn’t my favorite,” said sophomore Abby Fuhriman.

Some believe there will be a third while others do not. Chances are it will be dependent on the success of “Avatar: The Way of Water.”

Many fans of the original loved the movie but believed it shouldn’t have taken 13 years to get it. “Avatar: The Way of Water” is a movie that will be watched by future generations to come.