The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Complete Eagle High Guide to Acing the SAT

Senior+Dustin+Todd+demonstrates+the+new+online+SAT+test+that+is+replacing+the+old+pencil-and-paper+format+from+previous+years.+Beginning+in+2024%2C+the+test+will+be+onscreen-only.++
Annie Ward
Senior Dustin Todd demonstrates the new online SAT test that is replacing the old pencil-and-paper format from previous years. Beginning in 2024, the test will be onscreen-only.

With the academic year coming close to an end, many students are preparing to take important tests to determine key skills in preparing for college. One of these tests includes the SAT.  

The SAT is a standardized test administered by the College Board used to measure preparedness for college and analyze key skills such as reading comprehension, statistical ability and clearness of expression. Although it is not a requirement to be admitted to many colleges, the SAT can still be a glimmering example of college readiness on applications. 

Many students feel stressed and overwhelmed when thinking about the SAT. However, there are many strategies one can utilize to help lighten the load of such a daunting test. 

1. Create an SAT study schedule – A study schedule can be used to keep study sessions on track and consistent. Focus on learning the material not performed well on the test, while still making time to practice the material already mastered.  
  1. Use quality test prep materials – The quality of your test prep materials can have a large effect on overall test score and how prepared one feels on test day. The College Board website is a solid resource where one can go to find the SAT study guide, practice tests and tips.  
  1. Come to test day prepared – This day should be focused on getting in the right mindset. Get a good rest and eat a nutritious breakfast to energize oneself for the day. A short review of study materials before the test can help wake up one’s brain.  

In addition, eliminating incorrect answers, answering questions one knows first and not leaving any answers blank are good ways to score some extra points on the test.  

In an article by khanacademy.com it says, “The ideal time to start studying for the SAT varies depending on your individual circumstances. However, a general rule of thumb is to start preparing for the test at least 3-6 months in advance”.One can begin to look over material, take practice tests and create a study schedule several months in advance ensuring students have time to study thoroughly and even have extra time in case one needs to retake the SAT. 

“The SAT was a stressful period for me, but after using the resources available to study I felt much better about taking the test.” said senior Eleanor Thornberry. Allowing time for studying is proven to better increase test results. 

The SAT can be overwhelming, but utilizing the best proven methods for getting the best score possible is a great way to start.