Rapper Mike Sherm’s Inspiring Upbringing and Where He is Today

Laura Ford
On Feb. 4, Mike Sherm performed at the Knitting Factory located in Boise, Idaho. He performed his hit “Baby”, and the crowd went wild.

Mike Sherm is a west coast rapper born in Antioch. California gains recognition for his unique flow and raw storytelling technique connecting listeners through real life problems. With his roots deeply sunk into the California Bay Area, many fans are curious about where Sherm started and how he gained his popularity.  

Sherm is a very well renowned rapper and musician, spending his early life and childhood in the colorful city of Oakland, California.  

According to nicklachey.com, Sherm was exposed to a melting pot of different influences that would later shape his unique music style and lyrics.  

During his teen years, Sherm navigated the busy streets of Oakland, soaking in the sounds of local music artists and immersing himself in the rich history of Oakland’s music culture. The dynamic culture of Oakland really sunk into Sherm; seeping into his one-of-a-kind music style.  

According to nicklachey.com, “There are evident rub offs in Sherm’s music, lyrics, and overall persona. From his unique slang and language of the Bay Area to the cultural diversity and street life, Oakland has left an inedible mark on Mike Sherm’s identity as an artist.”  

Sherm’s unique style brings unique fans. A student at one of his latest concerts in Boise, Idaho had something to say about this.  

“I think Mike Sherm does not have the best fan base, it kind of ruins his music, the concert was pretty good but could have been much better,” said sophomore Madden Bear.  

As a rapper hailing from the California Bay Area, Sherm’s close-knit community and strong family support that surrounded him helped him achieve his dream tremendously.  

“Support means a lot to people and pushes you to be and do your best; support from family and friends goes a long way,” said sophomore Carson Bowers.  

Growing up in the vibrant city of Oakland and being surrounded with many cultures has helped shape Sherm into what he is today, a rapper many love known for his unique music style and creativity.