The Eagle High Varsity Basketball Team has High Expectations for the 2023-2024 Season

Senior Miguel Taylor dunks and scores while his teammate, senior Russel Gibson celebrates in the background, showing the family bond between the Eagle High basketball players. Currently the Eagle High mens basketball team won three of the four games that they have competed in.
Fabiana Beatriz

In the 2022-2023 season, Eagle High’s boys’ basketball season came to an end earlier than the team wanted with a loss to Madison High in the first round of the state playoffs, sending them to the consolation bracket.  

This year, the Mustangs plan to end their season differently. The team have a very talented squad, with many players returning from last year’s varsity team. The expectations are high for this season. 

“Just like every season, we trying to get that state chip this year. That’s the goal,” said senior Russell Gibson. 

This year, Eagle High has a very experienced team with many seniors. Some of the seniors to watch are Russell Gibson, Miguel Taylor, Harmon Howse, Calan Huish, Hudson Vanalfen and Cole Pugh. The skill set on the basketball team this year has a great mix of speed, athleticism and height. Height will be one of the Mustangs greatest traits this year as height is tremendously important in basketball. There are six players listed at 6’5’’ or taller, and 12 out of the 14 players on the roster are 6’0’’ or taller.
“We got a lot of height and a ton of skill on our team. We got some shooters, we got some athletes. So, I think we are a very well-built high school team,” Huish said. 

The chemistry on this year’s team will be a big factor to their success. Players on the team say that the bond they have together off the court can help them get wins on the court. Having players that get along and enjoy being with each other is very important to a team success. 

“I love the guys on the team. We go and have meals together before games and practices. It’s just a big group of guys that love being around each other. They feel like family. I think it will help us win and practice harder,” Huish said.  

The Mustangs look forward to playing rival schools like Owyhee High. Owyhee High has high expectations for this season as well. Once a year starting last year, Eagle High and Owyhee High have a competition at their basketball game called the Battle of the Bolt. The competition is to see which school can earn the most points. Schools can earn points by having better school spirit, having a better dance team and donating money to a cause. Players look forward to playing in this game because both teams are very talented, and the crowd is always packed full. 

“I am looking forward to playing Owyhee. That’s the rival, we want to beat them this year,” Gibson said. 

So far this season, the boys’ team is 3-2 with wins over Minico High, Emmet High and Rocky Mountain High. The team lost to Pocatello High and Owyhee High. The Mustangs look to keep this success up throughout the year. 

“I think this will be a good season, [The students of Eagle High] better pop out,” Gibson said. 

The girls’ basketball team also lost in the first-round last year, to Coeur d’Alene who won the state championship. Like the boy’s team, the girls look to have another great season. They have a fairly young squad that looks to make it back to the state tournament for the second consecutive season. The girl’s season is off to a decent start. 

“The season is going pretty good so far. We have won some and lost some,” said sophomore Bella Thompson. 

Some players to watch on this year’s girls basketball team is senior Paige Cofer, senior Molly Johnson, junior Macy Marg, junior Alyson Vieira and sophomore Bella Thompson. Cofer is committed to play basketball at Utah Tech University. These girls play very aggressive and take pride in their defense. 

“Getting up and down the court quickly and being aggressive on defense is some of our teams’ strengths,” Thompson said. 

So far this year, the girl’s team is 4-4 with wins to Twin Fall High, Jerome High, Timberline High and Post Falls High. The team lost to Rocky Mountain High, Owyhee High, Lake City High and Coeur d’Alene High. They hope to gain a winning record throughout the rest of the season. 

Both the boys’ and girls’ varsity basketball teams are very talented, and students of Eagle High school come and give support to the teams often. 

“Show up,” Thompson said. 

Although the Eagle High Lady Mustang Basketball Team has just recently begun their season, they are dedicated to winning their future games. The Lady Mustangs have currently competed in eight games and have won half of them. (Bella Thompson)