Eagle Highs Boys’ and Girls’ Basketball Season is Going Well so Far

Senior Miguel Taylor hangs from the rim after a dunk. He puts on a performance at a white out themed game held at Eagle High.
Fabiana Beatriz Photo

Eagle High’s boys’ basketball team started their season in November and have been working hard in practice to be the best they can.  Their roster of fourteen players offers a lot of strength and talent to the team.  Nine of the fourteen players are seniors who have had previous experience with the team.  Senior Russel Gibson leads the team with 14.2 points per game. 

“My favorite part of the season so far is the Utah trip we went on,” said senior Cole Pugh.  The boys’ team has a record of eight wins and five losses so far this season.  The team has won two conference games and lost two conference games so far.  The team attended a tournament in Preston, Idaho.  From Dec. 14 to Dec. 16 where they played against Roy High, Sky View High and Preston High.  They took first place in the tournament, beating all their competition.  

Over winter break, the team played their first four conference games.  The first game was against Timberline High, in a close game of 46-49.  Unfortunately, they lost, but fought hard.  The second game was another close game of 59-60 against Boise High.  However, the boys were determined to pick up the pace so in their next game against Borah High and they beat them with a score of 65-44.  On Jan. 11, Eagle played Capital High and won 62-55.   

Eagle High’s girls’ basketball team has won seven conference games and lost three.  Overall, the team has won thirteen games and lost seven.  Eagle has three seniors on their team this year to help lead them to success.  Senior Paige Cofer leads the team with 19.8 points per game.  The girls’ district games will take place from Jan. 30 to Feb. 8.   

Eagle High girls’ varsity stands on the court hours prior to their Senior Night game. They go through a walkthrough of the gameplan which led to a to win that evening. (Branson Faulk)

“Bus rides to travel games and hanging out in the hotel with my teammates is my favorite part of the season,” said junior Peyton Wilson.  The team is ranked third in the 5A Southern Idaho Conference.  Their first time playing Rocky Mountain High they lost 50-38.  The second time playing them Eagle worked hard and beat them 63-62.   

Both the boys’ and girls’ team have worked hard this season to be successful.  They hope to do well in districts and at state as they continue to work hard in practice.  Eagle students enjoy watching the teams compete in games, while having fun in the student section.