Looking at Christmas lights with friends and family is a very popular tradition that many people take part in during the holidays.
Branson Faulk

Saved by the (Jingle) Bell

Eagle High students prepare for the Holiday break by sharing their favorite Christmas traditions

As Christmas break comes closer, students are eager to get out of school and have a long-deserved break. During the holidays, family and friends come together to celebrate special moments and traditions that help bring them closer together. 

Many traditions are common throughout their families, while others have their special traditions that have continued through generations. Students at Eagle High were asked through an Instagram poll about their favorite Christmas traditions to celebrate during the holidays.  

Christmas is the perfect time of year to bring family and friends together to bond and cherish things valued most during the holidays. A tradition that is quite common in most households is decorating a tree. Whether it is real or fake, this is the perfect way to have every family member contribute during the holiday season. The most common and traditional ways to decorate is with lights, tinsel, and ornaments. Many families have their take, with different colors and ornaments, making it more unique to their family. 

Christmas lights are hung up in a quiet neighborhood. The lights give a cheery feeling to anybody who sees them. These lights are one of many honored Christmas traditions. (Branson Faulk)

Baking cookies and building a gingerbread house on Christmas Eve is a popular response from students at Eagle High. Depending on preference, families can either buy a gingerbread kit from the store or some even start from scratch. Making it a “build your own” gingerbread house, adding personal touches like icing, sprinkles and gumdrops with a cool creation.  

While other families keep it simple but sweet with baking cookies, bringing the family together with tasty creations. One student at Eagle High had their own twist. 

“I like having gingerbread house competitions with my Christmas pajamas,” a student said. 

Finally, students’ most popular response to Christmas traditions is Christmas Eve dinner. Not only do families have a special dinner on Christmas day but others do Christmas Eve as well. Some students have specific traditions as to what food they make at home with their families on Christmas Eve night.  

“I make pizza with my family on Christmas Eve,” said one student. While other students strictly responded with Christmas Eve dinner as being their family traditions.  

Christmas is the perfect time of year to get family together during the holidays and just enjoy the small moments. Creating family traditions to help bring families together is the best way to bond over the holiday break, so create family traditions that can be passed down and remembered for years to come.