Here are Ten Classic Rom-Com’s to Watch in the Month of February

Whether watching movies with company or not, a cozy movie set up is perfect for a night in. Many will watch on different streaming platforms, as well as different TVs and computers.
Kate Vorobieff

“Rom-Com’s” or romantic comedies are a popular genre of movies in today’s modern world. People of all ages enjoy watching these lighthearted, sweet, funny movies, especially during the holiday season. February is the month of love with Valentine’s Day falling in the middle of the month on the 14th. So, this Valentine’s season, curl up with friends or a significant other and enjoy a classic rom-com from the list below. 

1. “The Notebook”- This movie follows the story of Allie (Rachel McAdams) and Noah (Ryan Gosling) as they meet, fall deeply in love, tragically get separated, only to reunite again, and after some hardship, spend the rest of their lives together. While this is not considered a comedy, it is one of the most popular and most romantic movies of this century. It might bring a few tears but the seeing personal connection between these two young characters is worth the sorrow.  
  2. “Sleepless in Seattle”- This innocent love story, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan follows the unlikely meeting of Sam and Annie. When Sam’s son, Jonah, reaches out on a late-night radio show, complaining about how lonely his dad is, women from all over reach out by sending letters. Jonah starts replying to Annie’s letters and devises a plan for her to meet his father. Soon, they meet and fall in love, Jonah gets his wish granted, Annie is going to be his new mother. 
  3. “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”- Toula (Nia Vardalos) is an awkward young Greek woman, whose Greek Catholic father is obsessed with finding his daughter a nice Greek man to marry. But when Toula falls for non-Greek Ian (John Corbett) and they become engaged, the two have the daunting task of convincing Toula’s dad to agree. This hilarious comedy follows Toula and Ian as Ian adjusts to the culture shock of his fiancé’s chaotic family.  
  4. “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days”- This comedic, light-hearted tale follows advice columnist Andie (Kate Hudson) and advertising executive Ben (Matthew McConaughey). When Andie is assigned to write an article telling women what not to do when dating, called ‘How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days,’ she decides to do it herself to make her article more authentic. Ben, as one might guess, is the lucky guy. But as Andie tries her hardest to pick him up then drop him in ten days, she can’t help but fall for him in the process.  
  5. “When Harry Met Sally”- Harry Burns and Sally Albright (Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan) have been close friends since their college graduation. Their friendship is full of bickering about their differing opinions. But as the years pass and their friendship grows, they realize they have feelings for each other. This witty, late ‘80s romantic comedy is full of entertaining quips that are sure to make all viewers laugh.  

In an article on must see rom-com’s forbes.com said, “…you’ll need to watch “When Harry Met Sally,”one of the all-time greatest rom-coms ever made.” 

6. “Notting Hill”- Celebrity Anna Scott (Julia Roberts) goes on vacation in Notting Hill, London, where she meets William Thacker, a small-town bookshop owner, played by Hugh Grant. After a rocky start this unlikely couple emerges in a movie full of romance and tons of laughs.  

7. “Sixteen Candles”- High school sophomore Samantha’s (Molly Ringwald) sweet sixteen is anything but sweet. To make it even worse she as the biggest crush on the schools most popular senior Jake Ryan (Micheal Schoeffling) who has no idea she exists. But when Jake realizes that Sam likes him, he seeks her out and the two realize they have a lot in common. This classic ‘80s love story is not only adorable but full of the hilarious happenings of high school before the internet.  

8. “Ten Things I Hate About You”- Teenagers Kat Stradford and Patrick Verona are played by Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger in this teen drama. At first, bad boy Patrick is coerced into dating the off-putting Kat by bribery. But after the two spend more time together they realize that they have many things in common and end up falling for each other. This movie is full of funny mess ups and crude humor that will bring a smile to anyone’s face.  

“I love ‘Ten Things I Hate About You’ because of the overall romance and dynamic of the characters,” said sophomore Jasmine Searles.  

9. “Never Been Kissed”- Josie Geller, played by Drew Barrymore, poses as a high school student for a piece for the Chicago Sun-Times. As she’s undercover for the newspaper she falls for her English teacher, Sam Coulson. Sam, who believes Josie is a high school student, avoids her like the plague until the truth comes out and Sam gives in. In the ridiculous plot of this movie, one will find a sweet, wholesome love story among the many pranks and awkward situations. 

10. “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”- It’s hard to find a rom com as classic as this 1958 film starring Aubrey Hepburn and George Peppard. Eccentric society woman Holly Golightly falls for her neighbor Paul Varjak, a struggling writer, after a series of random meet ups and coincidences. This whirl-wind romance is full of twists and turns that will keep viewers on their toes.  

Whether watching movies with company or not, a cozy movie set up is perfect for a night in. Many will watch on different streaming platforms, as well as different TVs and computers. (Kate Vorobieff)