Welcome the Eagle High Thundering Mustang Band

The+Eagle+High+marching+band+performs+their+halftime+show.+

Kara Skiles

The Eagle High marching band performs their halftime show.

Kara Skiles, Photographer

Every week on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school, the Eagle High Marching Band goes out to the freshman/sophomore parking lot to practice their show. They have an all-new theme this year that will not disappoint.

Forty-six marchers, two drum majors and five color guard members make up the Eagle High Thundering Mustang Band. With a new show titled “The Power of One,” they also have a new theme they have never done before: dubstep.

“I think the theme has a really positive message behind it; the idea of all of us working together to become one is really important,” said senior John King. He has been playing the saxophone for six years and is excited to have a solo for his final marching season.

The show will feature more choreography, drumline and front ensemble than ever before. This year, the marching band has gained more staff in various departments. Returning members from Boise State, Shannon Degeeter and Paris Skiles, take up the torch to help coach the color guard in both choreography and flag.

“It honestly feels nice to be back. I missed being a part of color guard and getting the opportunity to coach really made me happy to be back involved in something I love to do,” said Skiles. Lead drumline and front ensemble coach Rob Sullens has three new techs, Sean Mullarkey, Lauren Becker and Drew Whitaker, that help assist in teaching technique to both the drumline and front ensemble. All this coaching and practice will lead to their big performance at BSU.

Mustang Band performs at every home football game. (Kara Skiles)

“At the end of marching season, we’ll perform at BSU in front of thousands of people, and although I’m nervous about performing in front of that many people, I am excited to show what I can contribute,” said junior Bree Schwendiman. Like John, this is her first solo that she had to perform in her three years of marching band. She has been playing the flute for over seven years and is excited for her solo this year.

Following their winnings at D3 last year, first in the 5A small division and second overall, they reach to sweep the floor and get overall best in all categories. Spectators can wish them luck with their performances at Friday night football games and their D3 performance on Oct. 22.