Countless People Still Debate Whether or Not Psychology is a Real Science

Teacher+Laurie+Hobbs+is+a+psychology+and+history+teacher%2C+who+is+a+dedicated+teacher+and+who+loves+her+classes.++
Karlee Patterson
Teacher Laurie Hobbs is a psychology and history teacher, who is a dedicated teacher and who loves her classes.

Over the last few decades, and ever since psychology originated, the “debate” on whether or not it truly is a science has been argued. While psychology may look different than biology and chemistry, it still holds the same level of intelligence needed to master science.

According to kokomo.iu.edu it is, “The scientific study of the human mind and its functions, especially those affecting behavior in a given context.”

Though the word science is still in the definition, individuals argue that it is not a science.

To truly understand psychology, one has to know its history. Wilhelm Wundt first created psychology in the mid-1800s. He studied reaction time and then published his first book on physiological psychology. Eventually, in 1879, he opened the first psychology lab in Germany.

According to oed.com the definition of science is, “The systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation, experimentation, and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained.”

For numerous reasons, it is clear that psychology could be defined as a science.

“Although many people who studied psychology may work in jobs that perhaps do not, on the surface, seem “scientific,” the practice and education of psychology is guided by research findings that are firmly grounded in the scientific method,” according to snhu.edu. “ There are some disciplines within psychology that are even more aligned with the natural sciences, such as neuropsychology, which is the study of the brain’s influence on behavior. Psychology is commonly recognized as a social science and is included on the National Science Foundation’s roster of recognized STEM disciplines.”

Psychology is quickly joining the many excepted fields of science and is gaining popularity in the days to come. Though some who take psychology will still debate whether it even is a science.

“It is research-based. You have to have empirical evidence because of all the physiology and neurology,” said psychology teacher Lorie Hobbs. “And as a matter of fact, in the nation, many states, especially AP, are going to pull it under, instead of social studies; they’re pulling it under a science.”

Due to the studies, experiments and trials done by psychologists, it is evident that psychology is a scientific area of research and should be viewed as such.