The Student News Site of Eagle High School

The Stampede

The Stampede

The Stampede

Students are Able to Take College and AP Classes to Earn College Credit While in High School

While in high school, it is important for students to take into consideration the college they want to attend while choosing classes. Eagle High offers many great classes at a higher level. College and AP classes are a great opportunity for students to get ahead of the game.

College classes, which are a higher level and go at a faster pace, are offered to students in any grade. The students can then sign up for concurrent credit and get college credit for the class, while also getting high school credit for the school. For AP classes, students can take the AP test to earn college credit. Another positive to signing up for these classes is that when signing up for concurrent credit, it will be paid for by Fast Forward Funding. Fast Forward Funding goes through colleges to pay for the desired class you sign up for.

Sophomores Alaina Tiner and Rachel McLaren both took AP Human Geography. Taught by Teacher Kyle Vester, it is a class many freshmen and sophomores take as their first AP class at Eagle High. (Kate Vorobieff)

“I strongly encourage students to sign up for these high-level classes. It can greatly benefit you in starting college already with credit done,” said teacher Jennifer Foster. “Even though not all class credit will perfectly transfer over to your desired college, it is great practice for learning the pace and workload of college and AP classes.”  Foster Teaches college biology and AP environmental science and highly recommends these classes.

Concurrent credit comes through CWI (College of Western Idaho), NNU (Northwest Nazarene University) and BSU (Boise State University). This means that if you go to anyone of these schools the credit received form the class will transfer perfectly. But this is not always the case. When looking into other schools out of state, consider that not all schools will except the credit how it is.

For example, a science class may get three credits and at CWI this will cover the science class completely. But at other schools, they may except the credit for an elective but still require science class. Some schools will not accept the credit at all.  When taking an AP, it is more common for colleges to accept scores from the AP test. The reason Foster still thinks highly of taking these classes is that it will still help no matter if that is getting credit or experience.

According to College Raptor, a couple of pros to taking these classes is students are more likely to get scholarships, getting college credit and for an AP class a weighted grade from the class can give a GPA boost. Some cons are that the coursework is time-consuming and not all colleges will take the credit.

College and AP classes can be greatly beneficial to students in the long run. It worth the college credit while in high school because it will be paid for. These classes are worth taking advantage of while in high school.