This is What to Consider When Picking a First Job

Dallin Snooks
Most teenagers get their first jobs in high school. A great first job for a student at Eagle High is Sodalicious or any fast-food restaurant. Sophomore Austin Hartnett and sophomore Hunter Hales have experience working at a fast-food restaurant.

Whether one is a freshman in high school or a senior, growing up and thinking about what jobs are out there for oneself is an important aspect of beginning the journey to becoming a young adult. It is crucial to develop those critical problem-solving skills that come from working as well as maturity and growth. When thinking about starting a job, there are three steady requirements that should be considered.

No. 1: Flexibility is vital for many teen jobs. Because many teenagers are full-time students, it’s important to find a job that allows one to make their education a priority. Working part-time and being able to dictate one’s schedule to fit with schooling is vital.

No. 2: Location is an important aspect because being able to arrive at the workplace on time, save gas money and, overall, be in an area one is familiar with will help improve the work experience.

No. 3: Pay is a pivotal aspect of any job. One can look forward to being able to save one’s money, buy things for oneself and feel the accomplishment of making that first paystub. According to indeed.com, a pay range between $9 to $11 dollars an hour is considered a good starting pay.

There are many places in the area around Eagle High that offer these requisites. One can look for positions such as cashiering, bagging, hosting, being a barista, a camp counselor, sales associate, dogwalker and a babysitter. These are all great ways to first enter the workforce and gain experience in holding a job.

According to thebalance.com, “Many young people start out with informal jobs like babysitting, pet sitting, mowing lawns or shoveling snow. The best way to find a job like this is to check with your friends, family and neighbors. You may also be able to advertise your services on local social media sites and groups.”

Looking online, around one’s community and through friends and family, is a great way to see what jobs are available and hiring. The Eagle High Career Center has taken special consideration for students by putting up a job board near the cafeteria for students to look at. Taking a small amount of time to personally go into businesses and submit resumes may also leave a special impression.

“My first job was working as a team member at a food establishment,” said senior Eleanor Thornberry. “I got to learn a lot about customer service, workplace environments and saving money. It is an experience that still helps me today.”

Whether one is a student, athlete, or club member alike, every teen can benefit from gaining work experience at some point in the younger years of life.