The 2022-23 Eagle High basketball season is in full swing

Eagle+High+students+enjoy+going+to+basketball+games+this+season.+

Kamden Hurren

Eagle High students enjoy going to basketball games this season.

Kamden Hurren, Reporter

In the first month of boys’ and girls’ basketball, both teams have gone through obstacles that could help them come out on top. Both teams have many more games to play and with that, a bright future ahead. 

Boys’ basketball is off to a great start with them winning their season opener against Bishop Kelly High with the final score being 62-52. 

The boys’ team has been run through their “big man dominant offense” in their games, being run through senior Sawyr Hansen (22) as well as senior Landon White (12). 

These players have made teams pay with how many rebounds they have received and have both had multiple double-doubles in the season. 

Both the boys’ JV and the Frosh/Soph teams have also had a good start. JV had a thrilling first game that went into overtime against Bishop Kelly High with the final score being 73-70. 

Eagle High’s coaches like to teach their players plays of the offense for all teams.  

Sophomore Nate Williams said that, “learning the offense has helped me learn for when I become a senior and then we can spend less time learning.” 

The boys’ team headed up to Coeur d’Alene on Dec. 26 through the 28th and faced some of the top teams in Northern Idaho.  

The girls’ basketball team has started off on a rocky start with their first six games, where they took some unfortunate losses. The team is led by junior Paige Cofer (12), who is currently committed to Utah Tech University.  

Cofer has a very aggressive style of offense that makes defenders leave her to shoot, but that is turned into a mistake for them.  

The girls’ team has a lot of seniors, but they have a lot of experience, which helps the younger players learn more through their difficult times. 

Junior Molly Johnson (1) has been a sniper from three. The well-rounded point guard makes defenders step up, but with her quick first step, she can blow right past them. 

“Shooting is one of our team’s best traits, but we just have to hit it at a high percentage,” Johnson said.  

The girls’ basketball team has also played many games and headed down to Idaho Falls on Dec. 28 through the 30. 

Both teams will have districts at the beginning of February, where hopefully both teams can excel and show teams that Eagle is a dominant school.