Get out the baking pans because it’s time for fall recipes

Jessie Snooks

Eagle High culinary class students enjoy making different recipes for the fall time.

Cole McAdams, Copy Editor

Fall has many things that people look forward to all year round. Whether that’s the leaves changing colors, Halloween, Thanksgiving or the cozy baked treats, there are five favorite recipes everyone will enjoy. All of these seasonal recipes are courtesy of allrecipes.com. 

Pumpkin Rolls – Serves 10 

Pumpkin Cake Ingredients: 

• 1 cup white sugar 
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin puree 
  • 3 large eggs, beaten 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 

Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients: 

• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened 
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, or more to taste 
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened 
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Directions: 

• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 10×15-inch jelly roll pan. 
  • Make cake: Blend together sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. 
  • Mix flour and baking soda together in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and blend until smooth. Evenly spread in the prepared pan. 
  • Bake in the preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched, 15 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. 
  • Invert cake onto a cotton (not terry cloth) tea towel. Starting with a short edge, roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style; place seam-side down to cool, about 15 minutes. 
  • While the cake is cooling, make filling: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth. 
  • When cake has completely cooled, unroll and remove towel. Spread filling over cake, all the way to the edges. Roll cake up again without the towel. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. 
  • To serve, sift powdered sugar over the roll and slice into 10 portions. 

Pumpkin Chocolate Cookies – Makes two dozen 

Ingredients: 

• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). 
  • Mix together brown sugar, oil, molasses, and egg in a large bowl. 
  • Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the molasses mixture. 
  • Roll dough into 1 and 1/4-inch balls. Roll each ball in white sugar before placing 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. 
  • Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until center is firm. Cool on wire racks. 

Directions: 

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet. 
  • Combine pumpkin, sugar, oil, and egg in a large bowl. Dissolve baking soda into milk in a small bowl and stir in. 
  • Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Add chocolate chips, walnuts, and vanilla; stir just to combine. 
  • Drop a spoonful on the prepared cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven until lightly brown and firm, approximately 10 minutes. 

Candied Yams – Serves six 

Ingredients: 

• 1 (29 ounce) can sweet potatoes 
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces 
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar 
  • 1 and 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows 

Directions: 

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 
  • Drain sweet potatoes and place in a medium baking dish. Distribute butter pieces evenly over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Layer with miniature marshmallows. 
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and marshmallows have melted. 

Mom’s Ginger Snaps – Makes three dozen  

Ingredients: 

• 1 cup packed brown sugar 
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil 
  • 1/4 cup molasses 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/3 cup white sugar for decoration 

Directions: 

Apple Turnovers – Makes eight turnovers 

Ingredients: 

• 2 tablespoons lemon juice 
  • 4 cups water 
  • 4 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced 
  • 2 tablespoons butter 
  • 1 cup brown sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch 
  • 1 tablespoon water 
  • 1 (17.25 ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed 
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon milk 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Directions: 

• Combine the lemon and 4 cups water in a large bowl. Place the sliced apples in the water to keep them from browning. 
  • Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain water from apples and place them into the hot skillet. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Stir together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Pour into the skillet and mix well. Cook for another minute, or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat to cool slightly. 
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 
  • Unfold puff pastry sheets and repair any cracks by pressing them back together. Trim each sheet into a square. Then cut each larger square into 4 smaller squares. Spoon apples onto the center of each squares. Fold over from corner to corner into a triangle shape, and press edges together to seal. Place the turnovers on a baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them. 
  • Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until turnovers are puffed and lightly browned. Cool completely before glazing. 
  • To make the glaze, mix the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Adjust the thickness by adding more sugar or milk if necessary. Drizzle glaze over the cooled turnovers.