Categories:

Eagle High football is back: The varsity football team has a hot start to the season

Senior Roman Walker and sophomore Austin Ramsey lead the football team as they run onto the field to play a football game. Walker is holding the American flag and Ramsey is hoist the Eagle High Stang Gang flag.
Grace Tomman

The opening game between Eagle High and Meridian High, a rematch of the past two league championship games, went through a series of unknown. Due to poor air quality in the Treasure Valley, caused by forest fires, the Friday night football game was postponed to Saturday night at Meridian High on Aug. 31. Then, due to continuous air quality in the Meridian area of the Treasure Valley, the game was moved to Homedale High on Saturday night, Aug. 31 at 7:00 p.m. There were many distractions presented to the team, but the Mustangs were able to keep focus and were ready to play regardless of the unknown due to the unfortunate circumstances. 

“We all knew we were going to play eventually. The leadership really came into play, and everyone stayed locked in at all times whether we knew we were playing or not. We treated Friday and Saturday as a game day,” said senior Jack Giannini. 

Even though the air quality almost postponed an opportunity to showcase their talents after months of preparation, the energy was high in the days leading up to and the day of the game. The Mustangs were ready to play. 

“The team’s energy was at a high level from Friday morning when we didn’t know if we were going to play, all the way to the time we ended the game Saturday night,” said junior Austin Ramsey. 

The Mustangs did not waste any time to get on the board in their matchup against Meridian High. Junior Dallin Snooks returned the opening kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown, scoring in the first 14 seconds of the game and their season. Then, on the second drive of the game, junior Noah Burnham ran in a touchdown to improve the Mustangs lead 14-7. To top off the first half of play, early in the second quarter, sophomore Luke Makita caught a 36-yard touchdown in his first varsity start to enhance their lead 21-7. 

“I was nervous to play at first, but I knew I would do well and could rely on my teammates to have my back,” Mikita said. “It felt great to score and celebrate with my teammates. It was my goal to score in the first game.” 

Makita was not the only key player to make his varsity debut, as there were many. Ramsey had his first varsity start of his career, and he had success. He looked very comfortable at the Quarterback position completing 10 out of his 14 passing attempts and throwing for 188 yards. 

“I was very excited and, although it was a big game, I just had to stay calm and sink to the level of my training. I fully believed in the preparation of my coaches, my teammates and myself that we took all year leading up to this first game,” Ramsey said. 

In the second half, the Mustangs had a slower start not scoring at all in the third quarter. However, the Mustangs defense was very effective and helped hold onto the lead as the offense was working on getting back into their grove. 

“By containing Zeke [Meridian’s Quarterback] and shutting him down and just staying calm, playing our game and having fun, we were able to find success Saturday night,” Giannini said. 

Giannini led the team in Saturday’s game recording five tackles and two sacks. The defense had much success, only allowed one touchdown. 

The Mustangs were not completely scoreless in the second half. With 1:20 left in the game, Ramsey threw a seven-yard touchdown pass to Snooks to seal the game. The Mustangs won their season opener against a talented Meridian High team by a score of 28-13. 

There are high expectations for the Mustangs for the rest of the season. In the 2023 season, the team won the district championship and made a good state tournament run, but sadly fell one game short in the semi-finals. The goal is to finish that state tournament run this year. 

“The expectations going forward are to stay more disciplined and keep making our individual assignments consistently. If we can do that, the wins will take care of itself,” Ramsey said. 

The Mustangs played the pre-season favorites of the highest classification in Oregon, West Lynn High, on Saturday, Sept. 7. Unfortunately, the outcome was not what the Mustangs wanted.  

On Friday, Sept. 13, the Mustangs defeated Centennial High by a score of 68-0, improving their record to 2-1. The Mustangs defense recorded their first shutout of the year, and Senior Roman Walker lead the offense with three touchdowns.