Personal Finance teaches students more than saving money

Business+and+Personal+Finance+teacher+Joe+Gossi+is+one+of+the+few+Eagle+High+staff+members+that+teaches+students+about+what+it+means+to+save.+

Kara Skiles

Business and Personal Finance teacher Joe Gossi is one of the few Eagle High staff members that teaches students about what it means to save.

Many people say that they wish they learned how to manage their money when they were younger, or they wish they learned how to invest money in the right things. Here at Eagle High, students have the opportunity to learn those things and more.  

There are a number of business classes that may not seem interesting to everyone, but in the long run they could be very useful classes. 

“It’s not just like the math, science and all that stuff, but it’s going to be something you’re actually going to use for the rest of your life and hopefully, you can get going in the right direction and not the opposite,” said teacher Joe Gossi about his personal finance class.  

Many people say students should be learning about taxes or how to buy a car, but they might not know that Eagle High offers a Personal Finance class. Or students know about the class but don’t think to take it because it seems like a lot of work.  

This class teaches students how to manage their money on a day-to-day basis. Students are given simulation assignments that teach them how to complete routine personal finance records such as budgeting, saving and interest strategies, income tax e-filing, credit, borrowing planning, insurance, investing, estate planning, consumer rights and banking. The class was put in place to prepare students for things in the future that some kids don’t want to think about but should.  

“I think a big thing that a lot of people don’t think about in high school kids; they don’t think far in the future because it’s so far away that it’s not realistic to them,” said Gossi. “Within a year to 10 years of being out of high school, that there’s so much to take on and I don’t think they get that education from home.”  

Students should take the class so they can be prepared for the future and be reassured that they have learned these essential skills during school and not the hard way.